Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Nice link, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy all your textbooks before you get there, wait until you have had some lectures and they will tell you exactly which books (if any) to get and which are the best. Our student union has a second hand bookshop in it which will save money or look on the internet for cheap deals!

ReputationRep:
    When you go to uni, is it best to take all your clothes in a suitcase or does this just create an extra thing that you have to find room for, would boxes that you could throw away be better??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayTripper)
    When you go to uni, is it best to take all your clothes in a suitcase or does this just create an extra thing that you have to find room for, would boxes that you could throw away be better??
    A suitcase is always handy for packing things away for vacations. If your family pick you up at the end of term though, they can always bring it themselves. Just make sure you have a sufficiently sized bag for going home or visiting people at weekends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    A suitcase is always handy for packing things away for vacations. If your family pick you up at the end of term though, they can always bring it themselves. Just make sure you have a sufficiently sized bag for going home or visiting people at weekends.
    Yup suitcases are a good idea. I brought my stuff in boxes which I then threw away - I am now wondering how I am going to get everything home on Saturday lol! I'm just going to have to throw everything in the car without boxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Yup suitcases are a good idea. I brought my stuff in boxes which I then threw away - I am now wondering how I am going to get everything home on Saturday lol! I'm just going to have to throw everything in the car without boxes.
    or go to the stupid supermarket and get some.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a point, i order a fair amount of things online cheap, whats the process of getting them delivered to me at Uni?

Does the Uni give you a special address to post things to? And who signs for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcos!)
    Thats a point, i order a fair amount of things online cheap, whats the process of getting them delivered to me at Uni?

Does the Uni give you a special address to post things to? And who signs for it?
    Presumably it varies, but here (Imperial College) they sign for the stuff and we collect it at some point in the day (with ID). They send you a note to say you've got stuff to collect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    or go to the stupid supermarket and get some.
    You forget it is the end of the academic year, which means my bank account has virtually been frozen! lol
    (Original post by chaoscomplex)
    Presumably it varies, but here (Imperial College) they sign for the stuff and we collect it at some point in the day (with ID). They send you a note to say you've got stuff to collect.
    Yeah it works the same at Plymouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    You forget it is the end of the academic year, which means my bank account has virtually been frozen! lol

Yeah it works the same at Plymouth.
    they are free from most supermarkets....just ask them to keep u some.

you didnt go and buy them in the first place did u?

ReputationRep:
    A tip I was told by my uncle who works in a supermarket- Always take milk from the back of the shelf that way you get about 6 days out of it instead of 2. The older stuff is always in front so try and get most fresh produce (all your fruit, veg and fresh bread etc.) from the back, and check the date.

ReputationRep:
    This is true, when i worked filling shelves (it was only 1 week ) i was told to move the older stuff to the front, quite obvious really, can't blame them

ReputationRep:
    yeh, it's standard so that you don't get mouldy stuff at the back :s It's just something you don't tend to think about when you're shopping!

ReputationRep:
    Also wait until about 7pm to go shopping if you need something for that day. (like meat or anything that you can freeze)
    Most reductions are done throughout the day starting at 25% and in co op I know you can get up to 75% officially after 7pm. If the staff really want to get rid of it they can lower it more.
    Works well when you have a lot of freezer space

ReputationRep:
    try and make friends with someone who works at the local Tescos or Sainsburys (if you work there yourself you have to wait 3-12 monthd for a discount).... that way whenever you go for your shopping you can get a nice chunk off your bill!
    Also buy things for your room on Ebay as its likely they'll be a lot cheaper than in the shops - for example general storage boxes, and of course those organisers to put in your wardrobe for your shoes and stuff!
    ummm... may sound silly but plan to buy as much as possible of non-consumer goods (i.e. ones that wont go out of date after a few weeks) before you go. that way your parents might end up paying for a lot of the things you need in advance, rather than having to drain funds from your student loan to buy them!
    And most of all, just relax and try and savour every moment - god Im so excited!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Start raiding cupboards nowish. If you wait til just before you go, your parents will start saying things like "don't take the good saucepans" or "no you can't take that food". But if you hide it under your bed or wherever now they probably won't realise you're taking it with you! And if they notice something has gone then put it back, and re-borrow it later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelR)
    A tip I was told by my uncle who works in a supermarket- Always take milk from the back of the shelf that way you get about 6 days out of it instead of 2. The older stuff is always in front so try and get most fresh produce (all your fruit, veg and fresh bread etc.) from the back, and check the date.
    That's the theory at least. In practise, lazy people like me who work in supermarkets don't bother checking dates because it's too much effort, so often it actually is the new stuff at the front!

ReputationRep:
    one word- ebay- search for anything, ur bound to find it!also, watch items that are too expensive for your budget and then if they don't sell send a nice friendly e-mail to the seller and ask them to re-list it cheaper with a 'buy-it-now' price.

also, never buy chicken with chinese flavourings that always look so yummy- i read once in a mag that that thay use the colourings to cover up mould- ew!

ReputationRep:
    Go steady on the vino the night before sports trials. It's just dumb to be wrecked then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at going to De Montfort next year, this forum has been really helpful, but what clothes will i need?

How many t-shirts/jumpers ETC?
    How much sports kit?
    Will i need a suit or anything like that?
    Shoes/trainers, how many?
    Anything else i should know?

Thanks!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.