Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I'm doing a2 levels at the moment and I'm really stressed about everything. I'm sitting a lot of exams in May/June and I'm just so anxious about everything...all the stress is making me get agitated very easily and it's been causing arguments between my mother and me. I end up raising my voice cus she just keeps going on about the same things over and over about school etc and she ends up screaming at me. I don't mean to get her angry and I feel terrible about it...I feel like I'm a really bad person. She called me a 'cheeky *****' today and it's really got to me. I feel heart broken over it. I cry a lot and feel really lonely all the time, even though I have a good few friends in school. I feel like I'm at breaking point and I want it all to just end. Also it doesn't help that I'm not sure what I want to do at uni next year...I'm stuck between two things and it's panicking me as the day looms closer to me confirming. Can someone please help?

ReputationRep:
    I am in the exact same position as you. These exams coming up are of course serious and we do need to work for them but you must allow yourself good breaks and early bed! i say that at 12:40 at night haha ... not doing so well myself!
    I know its hard but try and be more confident in yourself.
    I don't know if you've started your driving lessons but my instructor always says "don't look at the danger (e.g. car, curb, pedestrian) keep your eyes on where you are going and use your peripherals to keep an eye on them"
    so basically what you can take front that is, you must keep your mind on the goal, it might be the grades you need for your university in this case. do not think about failure, which is much easier said than done. if you feel that you are slacking then instead of thinking about what could go wrong think about that holiday you have after you've got the grades for your uni.
    And I'm telling you if you are in that position i envy you because i haven't got into the subject i wanted to! if you're in the same position as me then we MUST keep our heads up because if we do work hard then we can reapply next year, or widen our horizons to something different.
    Trust me the lonely feeling you have is normal, and hey if we're all feeling it then that doesn't make us alone?!
    But honestly, reach out to those friends at school and whenever you get those feelings instead of having to think about those feelings and question them and then fall deeper into your thoughts call a friend up! Or if you want you can email me- [email protected]
    The arguments with your mum are, i'm afraid, normal too. They really aren't nice and they do make you think that you're a bad person but YOU ARE NOT!
    schools, uni's and parents are putting teenagers under a lot more pressure and stress in recent years because of the importance of these final exams and it is natural for us to become agitated under these circumstances.
    Its really bad because i've got into a rut with mum, we shout then one of us walks out, then normal and the cycle starts again. But i found that (you will think I'm a regard for saying this) just saying mum I'm really sorry about yesterday... i honestly did not mean what i said and i haven't been myself lately because of these exams. i PROMISE it will help with something...anything!
    i often can't be a big enough person to admit I'm sorry, and i hate that about myself, but when i do i feel a lot better about myself. try it! honestly!
    Also when you find everything is getting you down, make a playlist of your favourite songs, the CHEESIEST sing-a-long songs and lie down with either lights dimmed/just fairy lights/just a lamp on and put your feet up against the wall. I do this at school and at home and i find it really relaxes me. you might find that something else helps you like sitting in the shower with music.
    please email me if you want to chat EVER! even the night before an exam... by the way what exams do you have this summer?
    xxxx Izzy

(Original post by izzypetrie)
    I am in the exact same position as you. These exams coming up are of course serious and we do need to work for them but you must allow yourself good breaks and early bed! i say that at 12:40 at night haha ... not doing so well myself!
    I know its hard but try and be more confident in yourself.
    I don't know if you've started your driving lessons but my instructor always says "don't look at the danger (e.g. car, curb, pedestrian) keep your eyes on where you are going and use your peripherals to keep an eye on them"
    so basically what you can take front that is, you must keep your mind on the goal, it might be the grades you need for your university in this case. do not think about failure, which is much easier said than done. if you feel that you are slacking then instead of thinking about what could go wrong think about that holiday you have after you've got the grades for your uni.
    And I'm telling you if you are in that position i envy you because i haven't got into the subject i wanted to! if you're in the same position as me then we MUST keep our heads up because if we do work hard then we can reapply next year, or widen our horizons to something different.
    Trust me the lonely feeling you have is normal, and hey if we're all feeling it then that doesn't make us alone?!
    But honestly, reach out to those friends at school and whenever you get those feelings instead of having to think about those feelings and question them and then fall deeper into your thoughts call a friend up! Or if you want you can email me- [email protected]
    The arguments with your mum are, i'm afraid, normal too. They really aren't nice and they do make you think that you're a bad person but YOU ARE NOT!
    schools, uni's and parents are putting teenagers under a lot more pressure and stress in recent years because of the importance of these final exams and it is natural for us to become agitated under these circumstances.
    Its really bad because i've got into a rut with mum, we shout then one of us walks out, then normal and the cycle starts again. But i found that (you will think I'm a regard for saying this) just saying mum I'm really sorry about yesterday... i honestly did not mean what i said and i haven't been myself lately because of these exams. i PROMISE it will help with something...anything!
    i often can't be a big enough person to admit I'm sorry, and i hate that about myself, but when i do i feel a lot better about myself. try it! honestly!
    Also when you find everything is getting you down, make a playlist of your favourite songs, the CHEESIEST sing-a-long songs and lie down with either lights dimmed/just fairy lights/just a lamp on and put your feet up against the wall. I do this at school and at home and i find it really relaxes me. you might find that something else helps you like sitting in the shower with music.
    please email me if you want to chat EVER! even the night before an exam... by the way what exams do you have this summer?
    xxxx Izzy
    Thank you <3 your reply really did make me feel better. I'm going to try and remain positive but it's going to be very hard. My mum and I still aren't really getting along since the other day though and it's making me sad....but hopefully it'll blow over soon. I'm sitting maths, biology and art in June - it's going to be uber stressful. Hope your exams will go well! xxx

ReputationRep:
    its normal!!! many of us have the same issue. just try to calm yourself down and concentrate on your exams. try avoiding your mum during the next weeks. keep going!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep I'm in that boat as well, with stress and every thing building up I'm snapping at my parents and we're generally driving each other mad. It seems you really care about your relationship with your mum and having this hanging over you is making you more stressed. What I suggest is asking your mum to sit down and talk to you. I don't think ignoring her will help because if you're anything like me, it's practically impossible to ignore your mum. However, if you sit down with her and explain to her how you feel and the stress levels in your life and what she could do to help you then she might appreciate that because she will understand then the position you are in and will have respect for you approaching her in such a mature manner. If your mum is difficult to approach, pour your heart out in a letter, write it all down everything that you're feeling about your situation and how the negative effect it is having on your relationship with your mum is only adding to your stress. At the end of the day our mums love us and they want to help us succeed so she won't want to add to the stress and make passing your summer exams even more difficult.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.