Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, 5 foot four, and I weigh 120 lbs (approx eight stone, maybe more), and I'm trying to lose weight. I've begun to eat a lot healthier (more protein, less carbs), and I've cut out junk food. I'm walking three miles a day (flat ground, no hills), and I do Pilates (30 mins a day) and I also hula hoop (30+ mins a day because its quite effortless). Will I start to see results soon or will it be a long process? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I also drink three large mugs of pu-erh tea a day (black tea) to help speed up the metabolism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure you aren't actually in need of loosing weight, your BMI is 20.6. Normal, healtny range is 18.5–24.9 so you are well within it. For all BMI is flawed for people who aren't muscular it is a good indication.

My advice to you would be focus on getting healthier and fitter and working on your body image.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I'm fairly sure you aren't actually in need of loosing weight, your BMI is 20.6. Normal, healtny range is 18.5–24.9 so you are well within it. For all BMI is flawed for people who aren't muscular it is a good indication.

My advice to you would be focus on getting healthier and fitter and working on your body image.
    I feel like I do, my stomach is flabby and I just hate my body, I want to be able to wear nice summer clothes without feeling self conscious all the time :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you're doing quite a bit of physical activity. That it, assuming you're starting from a sedentary lifestyle (mainly sitting or laying down all day) to a couple hours of exercise each day. If you're confident you can keep it up for a few months then keep going, but I would personally suggest taking it easy since you're just starting off and gradually adding more time as you go on. You wouldn't want to suffer from "burnout" this early in the journey.

Losing weight is arguably 90% based off your diet, and the best way to keep track of your diet is by counting calories. It's difficult starting off but if you register on a site like FitDay or MyFitnessPal, it's as simple as adding the foods you eat to a list and the calories get counted for you. Most people underestimate how many calories they consume a day so do your best to be accurate.

Once you get a routine started with concise calorie counting and daily exercise, you will start to lose weight and although it will take awhile doing so in a responsible way like this will ensure you don't gain it back anytime soon. And best of all, you'll be a bit thinner in time for summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)

BMI isn't that great of a heath indicator. Body fat percentage and waist-hip ratio are better measures of health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    BMI isn't that great of a heath indicator. Body fat percentage and waist-hip ratio are better measures of health.
    Yeah, I was talking about weight though and said she should focus on health when looking at diet and exercise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieW)
    I feel like I do, my stomach is flabby and I just hate my body, I want to be able to wear nice summer clothes without feeling self conscious all the time :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Get fitter all you want but really you can't be particularly flabby at your size.

Working on not hating your body does matter. Like I could be leaner, say get my body fat % down into the low teens like the average gym going guy my age, but I don't hate my body as it is now. It isn't ideal, but it's fine and has it's good point. That's a much mentally healthier attitude because even if you loose a few lbs your body probably still won't be perfect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieW)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think cardio will do you much good tbh, you seem a good weight. Although still keep it up, it's healthy!

I think you'd be better off implementing some weight exercises (or bodyweight) into your routines

ReputationRep:
    the fact that you can stand and hula hoop for 30 minutes a day without dying of boredom is beyond me but good luck i think if you can carry what your doing on then you'll probably see results pretty fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albino)
    the fact that you can stand and hula hoop for 30 minutes a day without dying of boredom is beyond me but good luck i think if you can carry what your doing on then you'll probably see results pretty fast.
    Haha it would be boring but I read whilst I hula hoop so it's fun

ReputationRep:
    It will be a slow process. You don't weigh all that much so your body only has a small amount of weight it can lose before you start to feel fatigued or even ill.

The best thing you can do is just get involved in active hobbies/sports that you really enjoy and your body will slowly change over time.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on your body, the genetics, how many diets you've been on through your life... but it sounds as if you do a lot of exercise so i dont think you will have any problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.