Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Can we really get by on four hours sleep?" Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, it's come out that people in top jobs apparently get buy on four hours sleep.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22084671

There is also new research suggesting an 8 hour sleep is unnatural

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

Who here actually gets 8 hours sleep? Do you feel more/less tired when you do/don't get 8 hours or do you not have a regular sleep pattern?

I'm guessing there will be loads of different answers

I personally hardly ever get 8 hours sleep and always feel fine

ReputationRep:
    That was very creative of you, Jack. Haha I liked it

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I can...
    I love my sleep!

ReputationRep:
    I range from 5 to 7 hours sleep. I do feel slightly sleepy during class if the class is boring, but I can usually last the day without too much problems. A few of my friends sleep around 10 and I'm like how xD

ReputationRep:
    The more sleep I have the more tired I get throughout the following day... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    What is sleep? Can I buy it from somewhere or download it or something ??

ReputationRep:
    I get around 7 hours sleep - but it's just good- to keep me going all day - I think when I sleep more I get more lethargic - and feel more tired!!! Maybe you can survive on 4 hmm ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironandwine)
    The more sleep I have the more tired I get throughout the following day... :dontknow:
    I know exactly how you feel! Happens to me too =[

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can if you optimise your sleeping pattern.

As for myself, I've run for multiple weeks on 4-5 hours sleep a night and the odd nap here or there when it all gets too much. And there are weeks where I'll have 10-12 hours sleep a night. And yet, too much sleep leaves me just as tired and lethargic as too little. It seems for me 6 hours is about optimum, though getting out of bed is such a struggle I never manage to stick to it.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Margaret Thatcher slept that much and Gordon Ramsey does too. I could never do it though-at least not while I'm still a teenager!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    (Original post by NiceToMeetYou)
    So, it's come out that people in top jobs apparently get buy on four hours sleep.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22084671

There is also new research suggesting an 8 hour sleep is unnatural

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

Who here actually gets 8 hours sleep? Do you feel more/less tired when you do/don't get 8 hours or do you not have a regular sleep pattern?

I'm guessing there will be loads of different answers

I personally hardly ever get 8 hours sleep and always feel fine
    I usually sleep from 1:30-7:30 during term, which works well for me 6 hours. I've been sleeping 11-8 over the last week or so over Easter. It's killing me. Feel really tired all the time and I don't understand it. I fall asleep during the day too. I find the more I have the more I need but I could easily go on 3-7:30 4 1/2 hours.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    (Original post by eggfriedrice)
    I range from 5 to 7 hours sleep. I do feel slightly sleepy during class if the class is boring, but I can usually last the day without too much problems. A few of my friends sleep around 10 and I'm like how xD
    Energy drinks are your friend. I found a 6 pack of sainsburys own for £2. Staying awake in class is no longer a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I normally sleep for 6 hours a day and that works fine for me. If I sleep longer then I end up feeling very lazy and tired throughout the day.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. I seem to be influenced by natural light outside. When the days are long I can survive happily on 5 hours whereas in the winter when it is dark all the time I will pretty much go into hibernation and feel rubbish even after about 9 hours sleep...

ReputationRep:
    If I don't get 8 hours sleep I feel tired the next day, however if I get more than 8 hours I also feel tired the next day. So 8-8 1/2 hours is perfect for me.
    That said, if I get 4 or 5 hours sleep in a night I am still alert and awake the next day but if I don't get much sleep the night after it catches up on me.

ReputationRep:
    I think it'd be a stretch for most people, the vast majority need more than 4 hours. It's possible to function on less sleep than you need, but there'd be some sleep deprivation so you wouldn't be functioning as well as you could. Most people are probably somewhat sleep deprived these days.

If I get into something resembling a natural sleeping pattern (similar time to bed each night for at least two weeks, no alarm clock) I end up getting about 6.5 hours, so that's probably 'normal' for me. But in practice I get about 5, and although I don't feel 'tired', I'm sure it has a negative effect on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    Energy drinks are your friend. I found a 6 pack of sainsburys own for £2. Staying awake in class is no longer a problem.
    Trust me I tried that, unfortunately I prefer drinking monster which isn't cheap and for 2 weeks I practically lived off it, during that time I didn't particularly feel more awake and didn't like the idea of pumping sugar and caffeine into my system xD I could also never finish a whole can >:

ReputationRep:
    can we get by on four hours sleep, without feeling cheap, I don't know man, just shut up and drink the can.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    (Original post by eggfriedrice)
    Trust me I tried that, unfortunately I prefer drinking monster which isn't cheap and for 2 weeks I practically lived off it, during that time I didn't particularly feel more awake and didn't like the idea of pumping sugar and caffeine into my system xD I could also never finish a whole can >:
    I can't stand monster. I like the cheap ones better and they aren't very effective except in that crowded and overheated lecture theatre. I cant use them for doing normal work or exams but taking notes it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    I can't stand monster. I like the cheap ones better and they aren't very effective except in that crowded and overheated lecture theatre. I cant use them for doing normal work or exams but taking notes it's fine.
    Ohh fair enough, have you ever tried pro plus (caffeine pills)? My teacher recommended them haha and I found that they did help. Though she said they made her go absolutely hyper, whilst I just found it helped me stay more alert.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.