What is the easiest of the Maths Options? Watch

ProfessorFitBoy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
My maths teacher says that M1 is the hardest and D1 the easiest... and S1 somewhere in between.

I've never done D1 or S1 (but will be doing so) so I was wondering if anyone who has done them can compare them to M1/C1/C2 for me.

Also, I've heard in the past that some Unis don't like you to have done D1 but prefer M1 or S1 instead :confused: Why is this?
KgeoK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, I did S1 last year as part of the AS course and found most of it quite simple but certain topics I just couldn't get my head round. It was my lowest mark in the exams (I got a high B when I got high A's on pure). This year I've done M1 and have found it so much easier. It just depends on what your personal strengths are, my maths teacher said he thinks M1 is way easier than S1.
I've got no idea why D1 is not liked by unis, maybe it's seen as been easier but I don't really know as I've never done it.
magnum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I haven't done M1
I do S1.. exam is on wednesday.

Im not particularly brilliant at maths, but i've found S1 pretty easy going.
Still, there are some difficult questions in past papers.
Kentish Man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
S1 is the easiest. I got 100/100 in it. M1 is quite hard. Well the paper I took today was anyway.
cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I found S1 the hardest, but then again, we didn't have much of a teacher for that module.
M1 is a walk in the park - as long as you know SUVAT, F=ma, simple calculus and vector stuff, as well as a little common sense, it's easy!
It does of course help if you do physics...
Piggy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Personally I found S1 a bit weird but once you get used to the questions it's ok. M1 on the other hand is really difficult for me, it's like a whole new way of thinking and I never really understood forces in GCSE Physics. It'll be interesting to see what D1's like when we start it in a couple of weeks!
Eclipse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I found both S1 and M1 easier than D1, I don't know why, D1 for me was just so strange and took me a long time to grasp, although once you know all the algorithms, it becomes easier. So maybe they're all just as good and as bad as each other!

Perhaps some Universities prefer you to have M1 or S1 because you can apply that to more things than D1.
The D
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ProfessorFitBoy)
My maths teacher says that M1 is the hardest and D1 the easiest... and S1 somewhere in between.

I've never done D1 or S1 (but will be doing so) so I was wondering if anyone who has done them can compare them to M1/C1/C2 for me.

Also, I've heard in the past that some Unis don't like you to have done D1 but prefer M1 or S1 instead :confused: Why is this?
do you need to tell Unis what modules you are doing?
ProfessorFitBoy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by The D)
do you need to tell Unis what modules you are doing?
I believe now admissions tutors can access your individual module scores or something ( :confused: ).

Personally it would hack away at my conscience if I was asked at interview what modules I did and I lied ...

Also I would suppose that if you're applying for Maths it would most probably come up at interview what you enjoyed most at A-level so you would have to discuss what you have done, including the different modules.
Lemonsoul
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
D1 is definitely the easiest, despite not paying much attention in class I've just been revising it for the past few hours and it seems so simple compared to S1 and M1.
investor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
m1 and Mechanics in general is the hardest as it requires more time and ability to do it, then S1 is pretty standard and then D1

m1 is practically pure physics so if your doing physics a level then it becomes easier as you get to learn the theory behind it. But if your not doing physics then try and avoid mechanics as it will be really hard
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads