Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this isn't in the right category, I thought it would be best to ask the Oxonians seeing as it is university specific.

It's coming to the time where I'm thinking about taking a gap year and how that will impact my UCAS application. Ideally i'd like to apply for deferred entry to all 4 universities, however Oxford don't appear to be as keen as the others on applications for deferred entry.
    The next choice would be to apply during my gap year, however as I am intending to be away travelling I'm not sure if this would be possible as I then wouldn't be available for interview.
    Has anyone been through this situation? Advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm applying for medicine if it makes any difference.

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Why not take a gap year after a year of med school it'll give you that peace of mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alily)
    Sorry if this isn't in the right category, I thought it would be best to ask the Oxonians seeing as it is university specific.

It's coming to the time where I'm thinking about taking a gap year and how that will impact my UCAS application. Ideally i'd like to apply for deferred entry to all 4 universities, however Oxford don't appear to be as keen as the others on applications for deferred entry.
    The next choice would be to apply during my gap year, however as I am intending to be away travelling I'm not sure if this would be possible as I then wouldn't be available for interview.
    Has anyone been through this situation? Advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm applying for medicine if it makes any difference.

Thank you in advance!
    Well you may as well apply for deferred entry anyway - they do accept people, just with a higher threshold in some cases. You might get into another uni also, you know! Which would be an achievement worth taking considering that only a third of applicants get an offer from any university.

Otherwise, i'd suggest making yourself available for interview. At least you can predict when Oxford's interviews are, unlike other unis.

(Original post by SannaS)
    Why not take a gap year after a year of med school it'll give you that peace of mind
    erm, maybe. It would be very unusual though - i don't think i've ever heard of someone doing that. Plus you'd drop down a year compared to your friends which isn't exactly the end of the world but a bit annoying. Plus with 16 weeks summer holiday, it hardly seems like you'd need a gap year anyway

ReputationRep:
    I think it's better to have the security with a place at Oxford them follow gap year if he wants, but that's upto him he can always make new friends

ReputationRep:
    I currently hold an offer for Medicine at Oxford whilst on my gap year. I got rejected first time round though and first applied for straight entry.

From what I've heard the success rate for Deferred Medics is pretty low but I may be wrong

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.