Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll try and keep this brief but for less information read the TL;DR.
    I am 24[F] I have been every size from 14-24. I lost all my weight (went from 17.5st to 11.5st) by going to the gym and keeping active but in September I went back to college and got a little lazy, I also quit smoking so eat a bit more too.

I have to focus on my studies and I know it's common to eat while quitting so I expected it when I gained some weight, I'm currently back up to size 16 and I really don't want it to keep climbing . Where I live now which is a quiet little village in the middle of nowhere there is no gym or any types of activities

SO I have decided to attempt to start running, I am watching what I am eating, although I've never been a good dieter but have never done this type of exercise before. I used to do squash and dance aerobics. Are there any words of advice anyone has for me before I start running tomorrow?

TL;DR Used to be very large, lost all my weight, gaining weight all over again now I have gone back to college and quit smoking. Can't afford gym need advice on running.

ReputationRep:
    Music makes it 10x more fun for me, and helps me keep a good rhythm going.

Also try and find a nice scenic loop, since you're just starting maybe don't do any long uphill bits (especially at the end of the run). I guess don't push yourself too far the first time or you'll feel like hell the next day and won't want to do it again! Try not to walk though, if you get tired just try and keep up a really slow jog. Slowly build up the distance/incline and your fitness will improve loads

Ohh yeah, make sure you don't eat loads afterwards - it's so easy to take in all those calories you just burnt (and way more).. ohh and have fun, and congrats about that amazing weight loss!

ReputationRep:
    I find that myfitnesspal helps in terms of diet you should try it if you haven't already!

ReputationRep:
    Agree with both above ^ I use myfitnesspal and its helped me on my way losing half a stone since Christmas-time.

Music makes running and exercise more fun and an upbeat song helps you run faster (i.e. to the beat), even if you don't realise it!

Build things up. Don't half kill yourself by overdoing it too early or you'll just be put off and will hate it, associate negative feelings with running and never want to do it.

You need to associate running with positive feelings. My advice on how to do this would be to make the running as enjoyable as possible, with regular run-walk-run switches when you feel breathless, good music, not overdoing it too early, watching those scales go down and feeling really good in yourself (as well as that muscle burn the day after which I find satisfying and tells me I made a difference!).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.