Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've confirmed my place at Plymouth Marjons.

I have decided and put that I will commute from home as it is only hour away from me and I can catch the train.

Was thinking earlier, what sort of things will I miss out on?

What if I want to go I freshens week?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend at university who's studying medicine... That subject is inherently going to come with a limited social life.
    However, he has no social life at university because he comes home every weekend.

If it's bad for him, living in halls, I think it would be worse living at home altogether.

Obviously it depends how important social life is for you, at university, but for most people it will be pretty important. You don't want to spend three years not getting to know new people, surely?

ReputationRep:
    It's completely subjective - if you make the effort, then you'll be fine. If you're one that wouldn't make much of an effort, you're not gonna get the best experience. My best friend at university commutes and I met her through a message she sent me on my facebook (she's on my course) as she didn't want to miss out on Freshers but obviously wouldn't be in the prime position to be able to go, and from there I invited her to come out with us, and now she pretty much lives on an air bed in our flat when we all go out, or have a film night or whatever (:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to sugar coat it with some optimistic ramblings about anything being possible if you make an effort blah blah, the straight answer is YES.

You won't get the typical student halls experience - that experience of fresh freedom and independence away from your family. And as you're planning on traveling for an hour each way, I'd say thats a significant journey time, you'd also have to be mindful of how late your trains run for any late night events, unless you're prepared to pay for taxi/get a lift from someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    I have a friend at university who's studying medicine... That subject is inherently going to come with a limited social life.
    However, he has no social life at university because he comes home every weekend.

If it's bad for him, living in halls, I think it would be worse living at home altogether.

Obviously it depends how important social life is for you, at university, but for most people it will be pretty important. You don't want to spend three years not getting to know new people, surely?
    Any potential medics don't be put off by this, at my uni it's more sociable than all of my friends courses. We had our own freshers weeks and loads of socials and our own sports teams and musical societies and charities societies. It's probably the easiest course to make friends on as we spend so much time together and do so much group work and most people tend to be fairly outgoing. It does however mean you live in a bit of a bubble as many medics follow the work hard play hard philosophy.

I definitely agree with the going home every weekend bit. It's way harder to make friends with people if you're not always going home and from my experience going home too often can make homesickness worse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.