Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will be applying to universities in 2014, and I'm looking into Bristol, Lancaster, Leeds and a few others for either geography or something related. I just wanted to know, is the Bsc in Geography VERY science based? I've taken biology for A Level and obvs geography too but not chemistry because I dislike it and I just don't get it. As there isn't a Ba offered in Bristol, this would influence my decision loads, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate3)
    I will be applying to universities in 2014, and I'm looking into Bristol, Lancaster, Leeds and a few others for either geography or something related. I just wanted to know, is the Bsc in Geography VERY science based? I've taken biology for A Level and obvs geography too but not chemistry because I dislike it and I just don't get it. As there isn't a Ba offered in Bristol, this would influence my decision loads, thanks
    Well I'm doing a BSc Geography at Royal Holloway, and at my uni all the first years do a common first year, half human, half physical regardless of whether you've applied for BA or BSc. Now in my 2nd year we also have the choice of doing more human or more physical, I'm actually doing more human modules, but am still doing a BSc degree. This will depend entirely on your uni though, so it's best for you to check if Bristol does a common first year for everyone. Hope this helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    oh right, so you can do human modules in a Bsc? that makes sense, yeah it says on the website there's a core first year. thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate3)
    It's not very science based i thought the same as you at first but i was totally wrong! (I am starting in sept. 2013)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delphinus)
    It's not very science based i thought the same as you at first but i was totally wrong! (I am starting in sept. 2013)
    Snap!

But i think the modules here are not as flexible as those in other uni. I thought i could choose a modern language as the open unit, however, I also heard that the open unit in first year is only for geog courses :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -endlicheri)
    Snap!

But i think the modules here are not as flexible as those in other uni. I thought i could choose a modern language as the open unit, however, I also heard that the open unit in first year is only for geog courses :/

Maybe, but lack of flexibility is probably a good thing. I don't really know much about open units but i was under the impression you could take a geography unit or choose one from elsewhere too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.