Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently read 'One Two Three... Infinity' by George Gamow and I was blown away by the scope of the topics covered, the lucidity of the expositions and the entertaining and often very humourous writing style. I hadn't sought out this book, but rather just stumbled upon it, so it was something of an unexpected delight.

Anyway, my enjoyment of this book has led me to seek out other hidden non-fiction gems that may yield a similarly informative and entertaining experience. I had thought I might come across such books by asking the good users of TSR which works of non-fiction they have found most inspiring.

So, having posed the question, let the wandering through the library of non-fictional treasures commence.

ReputationRep:
    If This Is A Man by Primo Levi. Not for the faint-hearted but probably the most impactful book I've ever read.

ReputationRep:
    Griftopia by Matt Taibbi, fantastic account of the financial collapse in the US. Taibbi is a relatively young author for the genre and writes with ferocity and acerbic wit.

The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk.

Bad Samaritans by Ha Joon Chang.

Any Chomsky. Literally any.

Web of Deceit by Mark Curtis.

Anddddd Mr. Nice by Howard Marks. A guilty pleasure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.