Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying a social science degree at uni and I would like some tips on how to successfully do well in my university exams. What would you advise?

Obviously I've been revising and going through exam questions but I did that at A Levels yet I didn't do so well. In fact, with the kind of person I am, I am not very good at exams. I do better at essays. However, I've been told that it's easier to get good marks in the uni exams.

So what would you advise?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    I know this is unhelpful, but I read it as "Tips on successfully passing out at uni" - to which I think the answer is fairly obvious! (Omnipresent, anyway.) I would give exam advice except that I study maths so I think you wouldn't appreciate it…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    I know this is unhelpful, but I read it as "Tips on successfully passing out at uni" - to which I think the answer is fairly obvious! (Omnipresent, anyway.) I would give exam advice except that I study maths so I think you wouldn't appreciate it…
    Lol woops! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    I'm studying a social science degree at uni and I would like some tips on how to successfully do well in my university exams. What would you advise?

Obviously I've been revising and going through exam questions but I did that at A Levels yet I didn't do so well. In fact, with the kind of person I am, I am not very good at exams. I do better at essays. However, I've been told that it's easier to get good marks in the uni exams.

So what would you advise?
    Here are a couple of tips:

1. Study the question.
    Each question is written in a certain way for a certain reason. A 'why' question needs a different answer to a 'how' question, which is different from a 'to what extent' question. Each question will also have other key words which can help you. Is there a specific theory that the question asks you to refer to/discuss? A specific time-period? A specific issue? Use these to set up parameters for your answer.

2. Answer the question.
    This sounds silly, but the number of exams I have graded where the student just writes down everything they know about a given topic instead of actually answering the question would shock you! A good exam question will never require you to write down everything you know about a topic. Exams test your ability to take the information you have learnt and pick out the most relevant aspects and apply them, with supporting evidence from the research you have done.

3. Situate within the module.
    This may depend on the format of your exam, and the types of questions asked. Our exams consist of three essay questions, one of which is compulsory and two of which are chosen from lists of three. Good answers situate the topic/theory/issue being addressed in that specific question within the module as a whole - demonstrating breadth of knowledge/analysis as well as depth.

4. Never start writing without a plan.
    If your exam is essay based, never just start writing. Always spend 5 minutes writing a brief plan. This may seem like a waste of time, but it absolutely is not. It will help you clarify straight away what information you need, and it will help you to stick to the point and not go off on an irrelevant tangent.

Not knowing what subject you are doing, I'd hesitate to offer any more advice. But I hope some of this helps.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.