Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gang rape victim kills herself - how do we punish? Watch

ReputationRep:
    'Gang-rape victim', 17, kills herself 'after her attackers took picture of the assault and sent it to classmates who branded her a slut'

'She went with a friend to another's home ... where she was raped by four young boys. One of those boys took a photo of her being raped and decided it would be fun to distribute the photo to everyone in Rehtaeh's school and community, where it quickly went viral.'

The alleged attack left then 15-year-old Rehtaeh an outcast at Cole Harbour District High School, where her rapists were also students. Friends, students and strangers taunted her, her mother said.

'People texted her all the time, saying "Will you have sex with me?"' she said.
    'Girls texting, saying "You're such a slut".

'She was never left alone. She had to leave the community. Her friends turned against her.

Her mother said she wants other people to learn from the tragedy and how social media allowed her to be continually violated following the brutal rape.

Rehtaeh shared her sadness on Facebook, including a post on March 3 which read: 'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nded-slut.html

Now the questions:

What should happen to the rapists?
    and
    What about the social media, what should/can be done about it?

ReputationRep:
    Such cruel heartedness, such severe lack of empathy, such shameful behaviour, can only be controlled if punsihed severely, severely enough.
    A for social media, it is the medium used by cruel, disgusting criminals. the fault is theirs and this must be regarded as a serious offence.

ReputationRep:
    they should expelled and made to spend the next 50 years in prison or some sort of correctional facility.

ReputationRep:
    Police investigated but did not press charges due to insufficient evidence

Perhaps you should read the article properly before branding people as rapists without a guilty conviction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    'Gang-rape victim', 17, kills herself 'after her attackers took picture of the assault and sent it to classmates who branded her a slut'

Now the questions:

and
    Gang rape the rapists. Tic for tac

ReputationRep:
    Life imprisonment for those responsible with no chance of parole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)

Now the questions:

and
    rapists should get maximum penalty possible.

social media is not the problem, it doesn't cause bullying etc., people do.

ReputationRep:
    A lengthy jail sentence with community service done during regular intervals :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Speaks of how bad society is if one can't take action in the face of such vile treatment. Poor girl.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Anonymous is already on this case, 'threatening' to reveal the suspect's identities. I would rather have the case reviewed though, instead of simply uncovering their identities and thus possibly sparking some kind of witch hunt. That being said, I do think the justice system may have failed the girl there, which is both tragic and aggravating.

ReputationRep:
    Castration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProgFeanor)
    Apparently Anonymous is already on this case, 'threatening' to reveal the suspect's identities. I would rather have the case reviewed though, instead of simply uncovering their identities and thus possibly sparking some kind of witch hunt. That being said, I do think the justice system may have failed the girl there, which is both tragic and aggravating.
    Just read this also - good to know Anonymous are taking an interest.

At least uncovering their identities will be a positive first step.

ReputationRep:
    Those were not friends but pieces of crap if they taunted that girl. Real friends never leave out a friend in any accident but support in every step the person makes.

Honestly, expel the rapists and jail them! Also, it would be great that those who taunted her are also being punished because they some sort of bullied poor girl and made her to commit a suicide. That's a psychological violence, the fault ones MUST be punished.

ReputationRep:
    Terrible world we live in.

ReputationRep:
    Is there actually any hard proof that she was the victim of anything?

Until evidence is put before a neutral and competent jury and a free and fair trial takes place and someone is convicted, I do not propose that anything whatsoever should be done.

It's called 'innocent until proven guilty' - I might suggest we remember it.

ReputationRep:
    As much a case of missing white woman syndrome as this Daily Mail story is, the reality is incredibly disconcerting. She was traumatised at 15 and it haunted her for two years before she couldn't take any more and I find that part particularly harrowing. I can't imagine what her family must be going through.

ReputationRep:
    We punish them by immersing them in deep pools of welfare for life.

ReputationRep:
    i suggest we allow the canadian legal system to perform it's duties to the standard expected by the public, without embarking on either a witchhunt nor a coverup. and when a clear and fair verdict is reached an appropriate sentence following the guidelines that the canadian legal system has in place be issued onto the guilty party.

ReputationRep:
    Electric chair !!

When i was 13 i always said "electric chair" in this matter , later when having internet u often read about woman who fantisise about making love to 7 man at on night, so that makes the matter a bit different, if i would read tommorow "man/boy gets the electric chair because of groupe rape", i wouldnt even bother to read....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    As much a case of missing white woman syndrome as this Daily Mail story is, the reality is incredibly disconcerting. She was traumatised at 15 and it haunted her for two years before she couldn't take any more and I find that part particularly harrowing. I can't imagine what her family must be going through.
    Bit of a tangent but I really like your voice.
    No homo though just wanted to say that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.