Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do we cringe? Why do we get embarrassed? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone so concerned with everyone else's opinions of them that they are willing to cause discomfort to themselves. Why do some people abstain from doing something they truly wish to do due to its potential for "embarrassment"?

However, most importantly, I have never understood why some people cringe for others. Even though that situation will have no impact, whatsoever, on them.

There is this video of an awkward prank that my brother physically can't watch because he is "embarrassed" for the prankster. o.O

It does not make sense. It's kind of stupid.

Go ahead and post your experiences/reasons for why you have gotten embarrassed in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I get embarrassed when I stumble in public. The next time I stumble in public, I'm making sure I fall into incoming traffic so no one can laugh at me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryl)
    Is everyone so concerned with everyone else's opinions of them that they are willing to cause discomfort to themselves. Why do some people abstain from doing something they truly wish to do due to its potential for "embarrassment"?

However, most importantly, I have never understood why some people cringe for others. Even though that situation will have no impact, whatsoever, on them.

There is this video of an awkward prank that my brother physically can't watch because he is "embarrassed" for the prankster. o.O

Go ahead and post your experiences/reasons for why you have gotten embarrassed in the past.
    I can completely relate to your brother. I can't watch the majority of auditions in the xfactor because I get embarrassed for the contestants, pathetic I know.

http://jezebel.com/5791928/the-scien...-embarrassment

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what kind of answer you're looking for. If you want a biological/evolutionary perspective, one could easily say:

avoiding embarrassment: more chance of finding a partner and reproducing.
    cringing for others: stops you doing the same thing, which is most likely harmful.

idk about 'embarrassed for someone else'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    I can completely relate to your brother. I can't watch the majority of auditions in the xfactor because I get embarrassed for the contestants, pathetic I know.

Ahaha I'm exactly the same!!! My family think I'm weird and laugh at them but I feel sorry for them lol.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 2ndClass)

I don't normally agree with you, but for once, I completely understand that. I can't watch some moments on TV, in films, in pretty much anything. Some adverts embarass me, for the love of God. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    I get embarrassed when I stumble in public. The next time I stumble in public, I'm making sure I fall into incoming traffic so no one can laugh at me.
    Completely unrelated to this thread, but your sig is awesome.

Did you get it from Imgur / Reddit?

ETA I probably should contribute to this thread...

My most embarrassing moment was changing the gearknob on my mate's car. We undid the one screw that held it on, but he could not get the thing off.

At this point I decided that I could do much better, told him to step aside, and soon realised that this was going to be harder than I thought. I repositioned myself so I could get a better grip of the thing, and pulled on it with both hands as hard as I could.

Cue the bloody thing coming flying off and me smacking myself square in the forehead and almost knocking myself out. That one hurt.

There are more... I will post as I remember them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Completely unrelated to this thread, but your sig is awesome.

Did you get it from Imgur / Reddit?
    Someone posted it on another forum. They probably got it from reddit though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryl)

It makes perfect sense, it's called empathy. If you are incapable of empathising with someone for a situation they are in, maybe you're autistic :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    It makes perfect sense, it's called empathy. If you are incapable of empathising with someone for a situation they are in, maybe you're autistic :confused:
    Or phychopathic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Haha! I do this! I stumbled in assembly once, and fell flat on the floor. I lay there motionless for a bit, for it to sink in...and everyone was silent and looked really sympathetic/shocked, then I just jumped up and walked away.

It works people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr plumby)
    Or phychopathic?
    Maybe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    Hmm good point. However, empathy is when you can put yourself in someone else's shoes and feel what they are feeling. So, if someone is supposedly doing an "embarrassing act" but they themselves don't feel embarrassed, but in fact, fully confident. My having empathy for them would just result in confidence.

So, why do others feel embarrassed for them?

A more relatable example would be Lady Gaga. Why do some people feel really embarrassed for her?

Also, why are some people afraid of wearing a new style clothing they have never worn before, in public. (e.g. a bowler hat). How does empathy kick in here? Surely, the public would have no discomfort because someone is wearing something like that. They may snicker, but is the public's opinions above your desires?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.