Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello who is doing the OCR AS History Spec,

I am aiming for an A grade and at the moment I am really still struggling with the essay writing skills and how to write a comprehensive response to a source based question.

I am studying F961 - British foreign and imperial policies 1856-1914 and F964 - Democracy and Dictatorship in Germany 1933-63

How is everyone else finding the spec (apparently it is one of the harder essay questions).

How is everyone revising for it and would anyone be able to give me some tips on exam technique and how to get an A grade response,

Thanks,

Michael
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I did democracy and dictatorship in Germany but my time period spanned from 1919-1963? either way the second part is probably the same stuff

I got a B in the exam back in January, found the best course of action when it came to revising was A3 sheets Split the information into each issue and simply put the important information on each sheet, found I had 6 sheets hung on my wall and just tried to remember the information. On each page the information was split into paragraphs of what i was going to talk about and my opinion was also on the page so my essay would immediately have purpose as I was writing.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dingo749)
    I did democracy and dictatorship in Germany but my time period spanned from 1919-1963? either way the second part is probably the same stuff

I got a B in the exam back in January, found the best course of action when it came to revising was A3 sheets Split the information into each issue and simply put the important information on each sheet, found I had 6 sheets hung on my wall and just tried to remember the information. On each page the information was split into paragraphs of what i was going to talk about and my opinion was also on the page so my essay would immediately have purpose as I was writing.

Hope this helps
    Thanks a lot that really helped, making revision sheets at the moment, My Sources are based on Nazi Germany and essay based on Britain, if you did Nazi essay questions that's probably why we're studying different periods . I've got both the essay and source exams in May (my college don't do Jan exams), how did you go about structuring the Part A/B source based questions?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Yeah, my source essay is on Britain but that isn't until May for me, am yet to sit it.

If you look here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2314815

I was given some helpful guidance on how to structure both the 30 and 70 mark questions

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing:
    F961 British Domestic Issues 1918-1951 and
    F964/02 Democracy to Dictatorship in Germany 1933-1963

So one the same

Finding the British Domestic Issues really hard! :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Foreign & Imperial Policies 1945-1990 & Democracy & Dictatorship in Germany 1933-1963. Anyone else concerned about misinterpretting the sources due to time contraints? I have a Geography exam on the Tuesday too Not too confident about my British one, I can do the essays but the knowledge is refusing to stay in my brain none of us remember info from the lessons, our teacher was always so vague and monotonous...
    Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    The key to this F964/02 sources paper exam is to tick the relevant examiner boxes, this paper is all about exam technique, and good, well chosen comments about the sources, not making comments that are tangential at best.

In part a) You are comparing two sources AS EVIDENCE FOR a particular topic or key issue, too often an answer is given which makes a judgement based on the KEY ISSUE and NOT the sources AS EVIDENCE FOR.

Ideally the structure for part a) should be:

Introduction: what is SIMILAR about the sources, say what you are going to compare, are they both reliable...why? what do they say about the KEY ISSUE in the question, what is comparable is what you're looking to address here.

Paragraph on SIMILARITIES between the 2 sources. You should be looking at linking provenance to content throughout, as this ticks the boxes for AO1 (a well focused comparison on the QUESTION throughout). Do NOT just say, this source is reliable, WHY is that so? WHY might that link to the content? (AO1 & AO2) Obviously you need to analyse, what are the ideas expressed in the sources? compare similar ideas here, explain why their provenance has affected what they say, if its a speech they may very well be exaggerating and the source may be less reliable, does that resonate throughout the other sources as well? Come to a mini conclusion after you've made clear links between content and provenance, remember this is evaluation and judgement, so you're saying WHY is one source superior in answering the question to the other, is it more accurate, more reliable, does its content make sense with your contextual knowledge?

Paragraph on DIFFERENCES between the sources, what does one source say that the other one does not?, try to again weave provenance into this paragraph, evaluating the differences as to why one source omits certain information, contextual knowledge is useful here. Come to a mini conclusion based on the KEY QUESTION, as to why one source is better at answering the question than the other based on their differences, which one gives better content, why?.

CONCLUDE YOUR FINDINGS: Again evaluation is key (AO2) why is one source superior to the other based on content and provenance, DO NOT SEPERATE CONTENT AND PROVENANCE THEY MUST BE LINKED FOR TOP GRADES I CANNOT EMPHASISE THIS ENOUGH. Make a substantiated judgement which doesnt just say why one source answers the question better, judgement cannot just come out of the blue it needs to be supported, so you will link back to your similarities and differences paragraphs picking out why one source is superior, a brief summary if you will.

Will make a seperate post on the part b) questions later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazed.)
    I'm doing Foreign & Imperial Policies 1945-1990 & Democracy & Dictatorship in Germany 1933-1963. Anyone else concerned about misinterpretting the sources due to time contraints? I have a Geography exam on the Tuesday too Not too confident about my British one, I can do the essays but the knowledge is refusing to stay in my brain none of us remember info from the lessons, our teacher was always so vague and monotonous...
    Good luck everyone!
    I have the same problem, sometimes the Sources aren't very clear and I just want to rush into it.
    I also am having problems with my British exam (although being a different topic), it is hard to grasp the essay-style which I find harder than the Source analysis.

People have just told me to decide what I am going to argue for before I write the question and then write it in a clear, structured way that uses PEEL and sticks to my argument all the way through.
    For example - How successful was _____ from *insert date* to *insert date*

Arguement - Success
    Why? - Biggest reason first
    Second reason
    Third reason

Make sure you evaluate all factors;
    Why not success?

main reason
    second reason

Generally the failure paragraphs should be less than the success paragraphs or it will look like you are arguing that it is a failure.

This may not be so useful to you as I don't know if you're questions ask ''how successful'' however it is important to know that the structure of your answer is really important and to make sure that your facts are only 40% of the answer and you do 60% evaluation.

To remember governments/policies - Key cards are a bloody savior! They force you to summarise information into smaller chunks and highlighters are really useful if you want to group things and help to distinguish differences and facts from evaluation by colour coding.

I hope in some way this is useful and feel free to inbox me if you want to discuss anything

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. We're told to make our point in our introduction so the examiner know exactly what our argument is e.g. there main reasons which caused ....... to occur were 1)...... 2)..... 3)...... but 1) was the most important reason etc... for an 'Assess the reasons' question. I think I'm okay with the structure of my knowledge based essays I think the key point is to always link. I'm always told to be more assertive, but other than that my essays are usually fine, it's making sure I include enough specifics for my evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Yep! I've been told I've done too much narration, it's just about getting to the point as examiner doesn't need to be told what happened in too much detail unless it links to the question/evaluation

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas what might come up on Tuesday? My teacher suggested a comparison between the BDR & DDR - I hate the comparison ones so much!

ReputationRep:
    My teacher reckons it will be a Nazi Source analysis because of the amount of Post-War questions that have come up, such as the one in January. I agree with you there, I hate the comparison ones, especially with the Nazi and the DDR (June 2010), it was really hard to group the Sources!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have the questions January 2013 exams questions Foreign Policy 1945 -90?

ReputationRep:
    Few questions

Anyone else doing Germany: Democracy and dictatorship 1919-63? What do you hope comes up?

Anyone else did England in a new century 1900-24? How did you find it?

<3 x

ReputationRep:
    FOR ANYONE DOING BRITAIN DOMESTIC ISSUES, HOW TO STRUCTURE
    Point-what you are talking about,

Evidence-say what the point is

Anaylsis/explain- talk about your point and the effect it would have had in relation to the question

Evidence- another reason about the same point

Analysis/explain- talk about how this next point may effect the question

EXAMPLE
    POINT- honours scandal
    EVIDENCE- the honours scandal was when lloyd george was selling honours and using the money made to profit himself and the liberals
    ANALYSIS- indicates why the coalition fell from power becuase the country was suffering with huge financal problems however lloyd george still spent the money on himself(something along this line). The sellin of honours also put a strain on lloyd georges relationship with the conservative and led the public to distance themselfs from the coalition. Overall leading to a huge loss in coalition support and illustrating why the coalition fell
    EVIDENCE- lloyd george almost sold an honour to joseph robison, who was.....
    ANALYSIS- also highlights why the fell from power becuase it led to public to see how irresponsible lloyd george was, once again leading to a decrease in coalition support.(also give some figures on how much honours lloyd george sold)

Do this for each paragraph, you need a total of 4 paragraps and you need to include and intro and conclusion.
    My paragraph was just a somewhat detailed overview o what to include but you do need to add a bit more detailed analysis.
    Also make you point clear by saying what you will be talking about, make evidence clear by saying

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.