Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how do i approach this question?

Name:  physicsismental.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  17.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Are you familiar with the dot product? If so, the component of force in a direction is the force dotted with the unit vector in that direction. And since the force and direction are at right angles...

ReputationRep:
    all the forces given from a up parrallel to the hill on the block.

so Because F = MA

since there is no mention of whether it is moving IE is there a friction force we are going to assume that F is not acting. So

F = -Wcos(theta)

notice that when this happens there is no component of R that makes up the total force when resolved parrellel to the hill. this is because R is perpendicular to the direction in which you resolved the forces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    Are you familiar with the dot product? If so, the component of force in a direction is the force dotted with the unit vector in that direction. And since the force and direction are at right angles...
    Ah i get it now, When resolving the component parallel is the horizontal (RCos(theta)) since the force and direction of R = 90 degrees, therefore RCos(90) = 0.

thanks soup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolRunner)
    Ah i get it now, When resolving the component parallel is the horizontal (RCos(theta)) since the force and direction of R = 90 degrees, therefore RCos(90) = 0.

thanks soup
    Even if you just tilt your head a bit or the diagram, you should straight away notice how R is a straight perpendicular vertical line to the inclined surface. So it cannot have any horizontal component parallel to the inclined surface.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.