Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So today I decided to sit down and take a mock UKCAT from one of the book I purchased to aid me this year. I didn't have any experience as to what the questions were going to be like, and I even had to read the instructions without timing myself as to properly understand what is being asked of me.

Golly, when I finished the test, which timed was properly. I ended up with a score of 450 :eek:!

I certainly didn't realise that time would pass me by so quickly. I missed out nearly 25% of each section as I ran out of time.

When I went back to check some of my answers for the QR section particularly, I found that it really impossible to even read the question carefully given the amount of time available. Even on some intermediate-harder QR questions, one must guistimate the answer -- there isn't any time to work it out within 30 seconds.

I even made silly mistakes, most of which was because I didn't read the questions properly (like there was time).

Also, having read around the fourms here it seems people are beginning to revise 3 weeks before their booked test?

What was your mock like the first time round?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J1mmy)
    So today I decided to sit down and take a mock UKCAT from one of the book I purchased to aid me this year. I didn't have any experience as to what the questions were going to be like, and I even had to read the instructions without timing myself as to properly understand what is being asked of me.

Golly, when I finished the test, which timed was properly. I ended up with a score of 450 :eek:!

I certainly didn't realise that time would pass me by so quickly. I missed out nearly 25% of each section as I ran out of time.

When I went back to check some of my answers for the QR section particularly, I found that it really impossible to even read the question carefully given the amount of time available. Even on some intermediate-harder QR questions, one must guistimate the answer -- there isn't any time to work it out within 30 seconds.

I even made silly mistakes, most of which was because I didn't read the questions properly (like there was time).

Also, having read around the fourms here it seems people are beginning to revise 3 weeks before their booked test?

Was this the 500 UKCAT question book by any chance?

The QR in that book is much, much harder than the real thing. I did terribly in that mock. As long as you do the questions in that book and a few online mocks you will be fine. I started about 2 weeks beforehand, I did every question in the book and some extra stuff I found online. I didn't do as well as most people on TSR seem to do but my score was good enough to get me an offer
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J1mmy)

Don't worry the UKCAT is meant to be hellish. It is good that you have taken the mock so early, many only do it a week or so before and then spend the week working like mad.

Timing, as you have identified, is the crucial point. The questions tend not to be difficult but the time limit certainly is. With practice your speed will improve, but tactics have to come into play.

Some questions look horrible. Advice is to spend 5 seconds deducing, making logical leaps and if you still think it will take you longer than your time limit - just guess and move, flag it for later and move along.

The point of the UKCAT is not to get 100%, in a sense it is triaging - you do the ones you can, guess the ones you can't and have a stab at the inbetweeners.

For now focus on your AS (?) exams, after that then you can start to think about UKCAT.

Any questions, feel free to PM me :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    dont worry yet haha I got 400-500s at the start, then got 700+ in my sections
    you're doing prep way too early, you should start in June and sit your exam in Aug.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys, the whole of today I was reconsidering my career. I've been reading too much about others getting 600-700, so I thought might at least fall around the high 500s with some polishing up to get in the 700s (hopefully!). But it seems like the score I got today is normal - I'm a bit more releived now!

It's not the 500 question book, although I've got that too. It's Score Higher on the UKCAT, by Kaplan.

Yes, that's what many people have said that I'm doing it early, but after today's score, I thought I just have started earlier!

I'm GEM entry

ReputationRep:
    Remember also that the UKCAT uses a huge bank of questions which are entirely randomly allocated. On average everyone should get a similar set of difficulty questions, but obviously there are variations and some people get harder or easier tests.

The practice books are often harder than many questions you'll actually experience. They're meant to push you beyond the real limits of the test for obvious reasons. However, you'll probably still encounter some difficult questions in the exam, and that is where your knowledge of when to triage becomes useful
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Also bear in mind you don't need to answer all questions correctly to get 900.

Use what time you have, do your best and move on. You can't do anything more.

ReputationRep:
    I got like 400 in the 600Q QR mock, but got 750 in the real thing 600Q over complicates the QR questions, in the real thing they are so much easier.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.