Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are teachers permitted to take 5% off students marks, per day for work handed in "past the dead line" at college level?

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no idea, but the simple way around this potential problem is to hand your work in on time, no?

ReputationRep:
    At university, this is a standard practice for essays, projects etc. Another common practice is to just give zero if it's late. At college level (I presume you mean sixth form?) it would depend on if it's assessed coursework or not. If it is then the exam board would have their own policies for late work. If it's just a normal homework then the marks wouldn't actually count for anything - they're just to tell you how you're getting on. So if you're getting 5% taken off marks then that's telling you that you need to make sure you hand in work on time.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I’m doing an access course I have three modules to complete this year social and life sciences, maths and communications, I am a dyslexic student and my problem area is maths this is well documented in my report and showed up on my recent test results. However I am doing really well in the other two modules. Also a number of people have handed in work up to a month late in the other modules and have not incurred any plenty, yet I have a weakness in this subject and because of that I will lose 35% (for an extra week) is this fair? Who should I speak to about this issue? I really don’t want to make a big song and dance about the whole thing, I really just want to do well on this course, I only have 6 weeks left and feel like if I lose the 35% I will fail to get access to Uni, what should I do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student365)
    The thing is I’m doing an access course I have three modules to complete this year social and life sciences, maths and communications, I am a dyslexic student and my problem area is maths this is well documented in my report and showed up on my recent test results. However I am doing really well in the other two modules. Also a number of people have handed in work up to a month late in the other modules and have not incurred any plenty, yet I have a weakness in this subject and because of that I will lose 35% (for an extra week) is this fair? Who should I speak to about this issue? I really don’t want to make a big song and dance about the whole thing, I really just want to do well on this course, I only have 6 weeks left and feel like if I lose the 35% I will fail to get access to Uni, what should I do??
    You say you 'feel like you will fail to get access to uni'. Just to clarify, is this official, assessed coursework that counts towards your final mark? And if so, have you found out the exam board's policy on late work? Are the college aware that you are dyslexic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student365)
    Speak to your tutors/course managers about your issues, they should provide you with learning support and possibly grant you extra time on your assignments if you need it. But do make sure you speak to them about this well in advance though, don't leave it until the deadline.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.