Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi.
    I think part of the reason for making this thread is to get some things off my chest, perhaps encouraging others too if they need to.
    For a long time now I have not felt myself. I am constantly tired, have no motivation and have no real desire to progress anymore.
    The past year for me has been a tough one, I lost my grandad, pretty much all of my school friends, my long term boyfriend, a new set of friends and my voice. The latter a massive significance because I am a singer.
    At the beginning of December I had laryngitis and this made me lose my voice, however it never returned. After tests and ENT appointments it transpired that I have lots of tension in the muscles surrounding my vocals chords which is restricting the way in which i produce sound.(there is more but dont have the medical sheets with me). I am now having speech therapy in which some improvement is being made. It has not only knocked my confidence but I have got to the point where It is a struggle to find the energy to try anymore.
    The loss of my friends and boyfriend were a result of one another and from such events I have lost faith in trust. I like to keep myself to myself and refrain from social situations.
    Currently I lost my college friends, and now dont even want to go back to college. The thought is making me sick and I dont want to face being shunned again. It is as if i take a step forward and three steps back. Perhaps im being melodramatic, but my emotions are everywhere. I cry at the drop of a hat, i look and feel emotionally drained and fatigued, I want to curl up in a ball and stay there.
    I dont know what to do. Sorry

Also I apologise for my rubbish grammar and punctuation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi.
    I think part of the reason for making this thread is to get some things off my chest, perhaps encouraging others too if they need to.
    For a long time now I have not felt myself. I am constantly tired, have no motivation and have no real desire to progress anymore.
    The past year for me has been a tough one, I lost my grandad, pretty much all of my school friends, my long term boyfriend, a new set of friends and my voice. The latter a massive significance because I am a singer.
    At the beginning of December I had laryngitis and this made me lose my voice, however it never returned. After tests and ENT appointments it transpired that I have lots of tension in the muscles surrounding my vocals chords which is restricting the way in which i produce sound.(there is more but dont have the medical sheets with me). I am now having speech therapy in which some improvement is being made. It has not only knocked my confidence but I have got to the point where It is a struggle to find the energy to try anymore.
    The loss of my friends and boyfriend were a result of one another and from such events I have lost faith in trust. I like to keep myself to myself and refrain from social situations.
    Currently I lost my college friends, and now dont even want to go back to college. The thought is making me sick and I dont want to face being shunned again. It is as if i take a step forward and three steps back. Perhaps im being melodramatic, but my emotions are everywhere. I cry at the drop of a hat, i look and feel emotionally drained and fatigued, I want to curl up in a ball and stay there.
    I dont know what to do. Sorry

firstly don't apologise
    secondly well done for finding a way of expressing yourself and asking for help.

I'm sorry you are feeling so down lately, and it seems that a number of bad things have just accumulated over time and left you feeling, helpless and lost?. But avoiding the areas that have caused you to feel like this will only make matters worse. There is a possibility you could be depressed, and I would recommend seeing a doctor. You may think it's a bit dramatic (I know I did) but that's what doctors are for and at least it will point you in the right direction. It's better knowing than constantly wishing you did...

I hope you're okay!

ReputationRep:
    HI

I would just like to say firstly that its really positive you're being open and talking about what is going on in your life at the moment , and its really important to remember that even when you feel completely alone, there are people you can talk to!

I am sorry that the past year or so has been utterly rubbish for you, life can be very difficult sometimes, and it can make you feel like there's no point when things don't improve. I feel like this sometimes, like there is an endless string of negative things that happen to me , but so many of these things are out of my control. What I try to do is look at the things in my life that I can control, even the most basic things. Like looking after myself, eating healthily, exercising, getting plenty of sleep (yes iam aware its half 2 ! ). This might seem kind of stupid, but I think to be happy in life, it helps a lot to be healthy and to take care of yourself even on the most basic level.

It sounds like you may be depressed, which would explain why you feel tired and have no motivation, and also why your confidence has hit the floor. Depression is pretty crap! I was very depressed for a few months and over christmas and it was awful, so I know how you might be feeling now .

I am sorry to hear of your grandad passing away, losing someone close to you that you love is the worst thing in the world, but I think what they say is true, that time is a bit of a healer. I wish I could give better advice on this, but I'm afraid I'm still trying to work out how to come to terms with this!

Losing your voice must be a huge reason why you feel unmotivated. You've, hopefully only temporarily, lost something that you love to do, and perhaps even saw yourself carrying through with you for the rest of your life. It sounds like you're doing exactly the right thing in seeking all the medical care you can, so this is really good and I really hope this helps you to get your voice back.

In the meanwhile, it seems like you may need an outlet, something else you can do that can step in for singing. Are there other things that you enjoy doing or have always been interested in and wanted to give a go at? Fill your time doing things you like and that make YOU happy, even if its walking somewhere, or taking an exercise class, or going for a swim. Of course Im a bit of an exercise freak but there are plenty of indoorsy type things to do I find when I'm doing active , different things, I tend to be able to clear my head and have a happier mindset.

In terms of your friends, its really important to know that this is only temporary, you will NOT be friendless forever! If your friendships can be fixed then thats great but if not there is NOTHING wrong with you, you have been let down by your friends and this is making your confidence low. Friends will come and go, and once your confidence builds again you'll realise that people are bloody lucky to have you as their friend!

Oh and yeah, boys are rubbish. I recently went through a break up, and it sucks. It does get better every day though, and once youre ready you'll start seeing boys again, and go through the whole thing again and get your heart broken again, haha this happens to all of us

But for now, just make sure you look after yourself. You have your whole life ahead of you and that is such a gift, you can do whatever you want with it! For now, things are rubbish. But just think how much better they can get! Think of all the people you will meet and places you will travel to, jobs you will have and yes, boyfriends you will have, be hurt by and then eventually move on from !

I am not going to say that I HOPE things get better for you, because I KNOW that they will!

Good luck with everything, and I hope that this helped you in some way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.