Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

How much does it cost to run a gaming PC if I play games 40 hours a week?

I am asking in terms of bill contribution of the PC?

thanks... any idea would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    Hello,

How much does it cost to run a gaming PC if I play games 40 hours a week?

I am asking in terms of bill contribution of the PC?

thanks... any idea would be appreciated!
    In terms of electricity?
    That would be quite complicated, depends of the specs of the case, the tariff your with, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    In terms of electricity?
    That would be quite complicated, depends of the specs of the case, the tariff your with, etc
    British gas let us say... and I am talking a high end PC... a very rough idea would do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    British gas let us say... and I am talking a high end PC... a very rough idea would do!
    I couldn't say to be honest, its quite complicated........especially a specific value......... I wouldn't know either.
    You try the more computer oriented forums.

ReputationRep:
    it's potentially going to depend on your pc and the games you're playing. However as a simple guide look at the power rating of your pc and monitor, convert that into kW and you have a kWh (kilo-watt hour) value that can be used to calculate the number of units used over a time period. Then multiply that by 40 hours and the cost of 1 unit of electricity.

If you want a better value then you can get plug in meters which will tell you how much energy you've used. Using one of these meters for a while will give a much better average than working it out based on the PSU specs.

As an example if your PC had a 400W PSU and the monitor takes 100W you have a total of 500W power usage. Divide that by 1000 to get it in kW and you have 0.5kW, for an hour that can be defined as 0.5kWh. Then multiply that by 40 hours gives you 20 units of electricity used in the week. If 1 unit costs 20p you can do 20x20 to get a price of £4 for the week.

The values I've used are probably not accurate, I chose them to make the sums easy. It also doesn't take into account things like service charges which might apply which you may want to include.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    it's potentially going to depend on your pc and the games you're playing. However as a simple guide look at the power rating of your pc and monitor, convert that into kW and you have a kWh (kilo-watt hour) value that can be used to calculate the number of units used over a time period. Then multiply that by 40 hours and the cost of 1 unit of electricity.

If you want a better value then you can get plug in meters which will tell you how much energy you've used. Using one of these meters for a while will give a much better average than working it out based on the PSU specs.

As an example if your PC had a 400W PSU and the monitor takes 100W you have a total of 500W power usage. Divide that by 1000 to get it in kW and you have 0.5kW, for an hour that can be defined as 0.5kWh. Then multiply that by 40 hours gives you 20 units of electricity used in the week. If 1 unit costs 20p you can do 20x20 to get a price of £4 for the week.

The values I've used are probably not accurate, I chose them to make the sums easy. It also doesn't take into account things like service charges which might apply which you may want to include.
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My pc is a 4 year old core 2 quad which I leave on constantly as its contributing to the [email protected] scientific project for Stanford university to help find a cure for cancer and diseases. My computer is one out of millions so its like a supercomputer network.

It costs me about £50 a month to leave it running constantly. The GPU is about 80% constantly and I've capped the CPU at 60%. Obviously it would depend on your specs but I think you could calculate a rough average from this. 50 pounds a month for 24 hours a day gaming

Posted from TSR iPad

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.