Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OK, don't know if this is unnecessary worry, but:

Mum and I are both a little overweight and we think we should take up jogging. We'd probably go for runs in the woods at the back of our house about three times a week, maybe just for half an hour to begin with. Mum has an office job and rarely does any exercise because she is so busy. She is also over 50. I'm a bit worried that she will have a heart attack or something if we start running - is this stupid? Can people start jogging over 50? What would I do if we were in the middle of the forest and she couldn't breath or something? I don't know if I'm overreacting!

ReputationRep:
    No, she won't have a heart attack.

Just take it slow.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    She's unlikely to have a heart attack. Try this program if you're worried about pushing her (and yourself) too far - it really worked for me. http://www.runnersworld.com/beginner...01?page=single

If you scroll down, there's a timetable with suggested running and walking times and weeks for them. It's a good starter for a program, and much more likely to work than just running full out and hoping it works.

The information on that page is all good though

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! I will set up a schedule to motivate us and also so that we can pace (hahah) ourselves!

ReputationRep:
    I've done the course that ChocoCoatedLemons suggests. I was super unfit and was also overweight when I started. Within 10 weeks I could run 3 miles non stop.
    You could think about joining a running club. It's much better to run with other new beginners and a club environment is really supportive. Runners are generally good people.

Good luck, OP.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think it's a good idea. She could always check with her GP if she's worried, but I think she will know if she is pushing it too far. Take a phone in case anything does happen, but I think it's unlikely. If anything it ought to strengthen her heart and make her live longer.

As ChocoCoatedLemons said, certainly don't jog for half an hour straight away - most beginner's programmes start with just five minutes of actual jogging, then build it up over 8-10 weeks. Good luck - I did it, and it's so worth it if you stick to it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.