Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I check insurance every few days as I'm looking for a car. I get average quotes around £800-1200. This morning it went up to £1600 and I just checked now and most of the companies have disappeared. Only Endsleigh is there for damn £4000+ :eek:

Who else has this problem?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's related at all but this is something I've heard happens.

When you're looking to book a holiday sites with give you a quote and then if you return to that site they will obviously know you've visited before and the price will automatically go up.

Not sure if it's the same but just a thought I had when I read your post.

ReputationRep:
    It's because you ran the quote in the middle of the night I'd imagine. A lot of their quote systems only run from 6am to about 10pm, run it again in the morning and the prices should be back down to £1600.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    It's because you ran the quote in the middle of the night I'd imagine. A lot of their quote systems only run from 6am to about 10pm, run it again in the morning and the prices should be back down to £1600.
    I found this a lot when I was looking for insurance.

Only found out when I thought 'If they're not coming up on the comparison website, I'll go to them' and then got a message saying their website isn't open until 10am - damn insomnia

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it was that programme on BBC about young drivers.

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed that sometimes you get cheaper premiums towards the end of the month rather than at the start / middle, when were you looking at the other quotes?

Give it a day or so and try again

ReputationRep:
    Clear your browser cookies too. Sometimes that makes it drop as it deletes the little file that tells the site you've been searching recently for quotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I agree.
    Id imagine this to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    I've been discussing this with peoplr on another thread as well. If you get too many quotes from the same company, I think they put their prices right up on you. There have been a number of suggested reasons, the only ways we've found to fix it is either wait a couple of days or delete your cookies. May not work though, it happened to me with Admiral and they don't quote me at all any more, whereas Tesco started quoting me again after 24 hours. Strange stuff...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.