King's college london vs southampton Watch

• View Poll Results: King's vs Southampton
    King's
    53.66%
    Southampton
    46.34%

ReputationRep:
    Which is better for physics?

(Also, I loved both when I visited and am undecided on the whole "big city vs campus" thing).

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    No-one??

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about your course but if i was you i would go for Kings College, you cant go wrong with them.

ReputationRep:
    Kingssss!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am leaning towards Kings, but does anyone know which is better for physics in particular?

ReputationRep:
    Went for King's... Right choice? I'm having doubts now.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topgun41)
    Went for King's... Right choice? I'm having doubts now.....
    Have you looked at the 3rd/4th year options at both Kings and Southampton?
    I don't know anything about southampton, but at KCL I know in 4th year you have loads of choice - you can pick modules from UCL, Queen Mary and RHU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusDS92)
    Have you looked at the 3rd/4th year options at both Kings and Southampton?
    I don't know anything about southampton, but at KCL I know in 4th year you have loads of choice - you can pick modules from UCL, Queen Mary and RHU.
    Yeah I know, but at Southampton they let you pick modules from practically any department of the university. Even if it is not related to your degree and you just find it interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Also guys, vote in the poll

ReputationRep:
    I went for King's over Soton for my insurance after UCL. I like them both equally too - so a flip of a coin decided it.

Edit: I am not by any means suggesting that you flip a coin to decide on where you study for 3/4 years!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, but at Southampton they let you pick modules from practically any department of the university. Even if it is not related to your degree and you just find it interesting.
    How important would that be to you? Would you rather study 75% core physics and 25% philosophy/french (I have no idea of the actual proportions) or 75% physics & 25% physics options in areas you'd like to learn more about?

I would pick the latter, but we may have different priorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusDS92)
    How important would that be to you? Would you rather study 75% core physics and 25% philosophy/french (I have no idea of the actual proportions) or 75% physics & 25% physics options in areas you'd like to learn more about?

I would pick the latter, but we may have different priorities.
    Fair point! Yeah the whole UoL thing is great, but I don't know about how good at physics King's actually is...Their league table ranking seems to fluctuate rapidly each year. Last year it was like 14, this year 30. Whereas Southampton is always a solid 15-20.

ReputationRep:
    Fair point! Yeah the whole UoL thing is great, but I don't know about how good at physics King's actually is...Their league table ranking seems to fluctuate rapidly each year. Last year it was like 14, this year 30. Whereas Southampton is always a solid 15-20.
    Take the tables with a pinch of salt. Consider also which aspect of physics you prefer. Also, what you want to do as a career after. Is physics what you want to go into?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not fully on board with using rankings because it's not straightforward to assess what makes one university "better" than another. Are you concerned that the teaching at KCL won't be as good, or that they won't push you as hard, or that you won't learn as much? The first is a real crapshoot, but you can always check the other two issues simply by looking at the modules and the syllabuses.

ReputationRep:
    If you are talking at reputation, KCL definitely has a better one.

If you are talking about job prospects, KCL has the highest graduate employment rate when compared with all UK universities.

For me its an obvious choice, not sure about you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so far guys =) I'm a bit surprised as to how one sided the poll is so far, but it looks like I made the right choice

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any KCL physicists on TSR that I can ask some questions to?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any KCL physicists on TSR that I can ask some questions to?
    I did physics at kings

ReputationRep:
    KCL is a very theoretical institute - The lecturers are excellent because they are all theoretical physicsits so understand the subject they teach very well thus teach it well - but that also means they are smarter so will test you harder

If you're interested in the mathematical side of Physics then king's is your place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeurmind)
    KCL is a very theoretical institute - The lecturers are excellent because they are all theoretical physicsits so understand the subject they teach very well thus teach it well - but that also means they are smarter so will test you harder

If you're interested in the mathematical side of Physics then king's is your place.
    Not sure how true any of that is...There will likely be more theoretical options in later years, and maybe an extra one or two compulsory theoretical modules, but a theoretical physicist doesn't necessarily have a better grasp of a certain area of physics than an experimental physicist. They will have a better grasp of some area of theoretical physics, but a particle physicist will have a better grasp of particle physics, a nuclear physics a better grasp of nuclear physics etc...Likewise a theoretical physicist isn't necessarily smarter than any other physicist, they just have a more mathematical specialty, and they won't test you more. Being a theoretical physicist isn't some kind of holy grail for all physicists that only the smartest get to, it's just a different branch of physics like any other.

Likewise on the teaching; good academic doesn't necessarily mean good teacher, I can only imagine it'll be the same kind of spread of excellent teachers and less excellent ones, as with any uni, at both Kings and Southampton.

Between Kings and Southampton though, they're both good courses, and I imagine are a bit different. Kings has the overall better reputation probably, but Southampton's physics department is very strong and at least held on a comparable level to Kings, but all that depends on who you ask.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.