Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who agrees with the away goal rule? Watch

ReputationRep:
    One Example : the barca and psg match

Surely it's time for Uefa to change the away goal rule. How can a team that did not lose both of the legs go out? Is it fair?

@CB91 nothing to do with being a Barca hater or a PSG supporter!

ReputationRep:
    Away goal isn't that fair when you take into consideration that some grounds are bigger than others and teams are going to have more people being against them than the other way around

ReputationRep:
    I've never liked it, doesn't seem right that a team can go out without being beaten.

ReputationRep:
    Its just unfair to the team who has away advantage in the first leg, because in extra time the away goal still counts! Very unfair, forget crowds etc thats not a controllable factor.

ReputationRep:
    It's not fair, but more so than a penalty shoot out I guess. How else would they do it unless the match is in an arbitrary stadium? Which still wouldn't always be fair but there you go!

ReputationRep:
    I also agree that it shouldn't count in extra time. Inter were completely robbed by Spurs in the Europa league. Away goals should only be the case unless extra time is needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    I also agree that it shouldn't count in extra time. Inter were completely robbed by Spurs in the Europa league. Away goals should only be the case unless extra time is needed.
    Then the team playing at home in the 2nd leg gets an extra 30 mins at home, on top of other advantages to be gained by playing away first, and thats fair?

the system is fine as it is.

ReputationRep:
    personally i think it's dumb! It should go to penalties! Why should a team win on away goals if the score is 3-3 on aggregate? It makes no sense!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is where crossbar challenges are needed

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal got kicked out by away goals too get rid of away goal and play normal extra time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol, more Barca haters.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is better than having penalties and it is simple to understand. I am in favour and it does encourage the away team in a first leg to try and score late on even if losing.

ReputationRep:
    I do disagree with away goals counting in extra time at the very least. Why should the away side in the 2nd leg benefit for an extra 30 minutes when the home side didn't have that option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxbradkennedyxx)
    Then the team playing at home in the 2nd leg gets an extra 30 mins at home, on top of other advantages to be gained by playing away first, and thats fair?

the system is fine as it is.
    I agree that it still isn't fair, but as I mentioned before, how could they make it fair? Away goals isn't fair, penalties definitely isn't fair! So the most logical way is to keep things how they are but stop the away goals rule if the match goes to extra time! Or maybe bring back golden goals, so the team who is performing better on the night and the team that deserves to go through, would have the momentum? I don't know, there really isn't a fair way of doing this.

ReputationRep:
    i am a barca hater but i still think away goal is better than either golden goal, silver goal or penalties
    although i think away goal shouldnt apply beyond the full 90 minutes
    im aware its not the best system but i think its the best available one

ReputationRep:
    sorry to ask but if Borussia Dortmund drew 0-0 with Malaga in Spain

then Borussia Dortmund won 3-2 in Germany so wouldn't Malaga go through on away goals 3-4

ReputationRep:
    it's a stupid rule - always was and always will be. and I love barcelona.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antoniovalencia)
    sorry to ask but if Borussia Dortmund drew 0-0 with Malaga in Spain

then Borussia Dortmund won 3-2 in Germany so wouldn't Malaga go through on away goals 3-4
    Away goal rule only counts when the aggregate score is a draw.

ReputationRep:
    It should be scrapped.

ReputationRep:
    The main thing is to see which team is the better over the 2 legs, if away goals are taking into account then surely it's just as important to take into account goals conceded, it's hard to decide how else they can separate the 2 teams though, maybe if they're both level after 180 mins use possession/shots on goal stats as a tiebreaker lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.