Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    a b c
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by tor-na-var)
    I applied to do the MSc in Fire Investigation at UCLAN in Preston. I received an unconditional offer.
    On the SAAS website it says, "We also support a limited number of students on courses in the rest of United Kingdom each year, as long as a similar course is not available in Scotland." MSc in Fire Investigation does not run in Scotland so met that criteria.
    I was then told by SAAS that I would NOT be funded because the course was not in the "Scottish Government priority sectors" of Health,Education,Creative Industries,Energy, Financial and Business Services, Food and Drink, Life Sciences and Tourism.
    Yet, they award SAAS funding for courses such as theology and art. I fail to see how theology fits within any of these criteria.
    MSc in Fire Investigation fits easily into the categories of Financial and Business Services because of it direct links with the insurance industry and being a expert witness in a court of law, and also with Life Sciences of the study of human behaviour in fire situations.
    Someone has suggested to me that my application has been turned down because the SNP Scottish Government are pushing for independence at the moment and will not fund anything in England, despite funding Mickey Mouse courses in Scotland that do not fit their "priority sectors".
    Note that it's a very limited number of people that actually get funding for courses outwith Scotland. The majority of people have to self-fund postgrad courses or apply for scholarships or bursaries from the specific universities or other bodies.

I highly doubt the reason it was rejected is because SNP are pushing for independence, that's just a ridiculous assumption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tor-na-var)
    MSc in Fire Investigation fits easily into the categories of Financial and Business Services because of it direct links with the insurance industry and being a expert witness in a court of law, and also with Life Sciences of the study of human behaviour in fire situations.
    Sorry but I feel your clutching at straws getting your Msc to fit into these categories. Yes as you explained it has elements of business and you look at human behavior but that's very fague. They want courses that come under these categories on a course list. These must be the main category the course comes under. Theology is an arts course. Art comes under creative industries in a course list.

given its a limited number of courses that get funded I can absolutely see why other courses directly fall under these categories and get priority over yours.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.