Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So... This year I need to decide on what university I'm going to go to and Cardiff is possibly one of my choices, because I am going to be living alone and in accommodation I got some questions and I'm cautious about where I'm going so I know I can be safe :l

- So generally, how safe is Cardiff university and the area around it, as in the community, the crime rates, the aesthetics of the place etc...

- I see there are many residences with accommodation and I want to know like which one of the residences are the most suitable and most stable to choose and maybe some background about the life living in that particular residence.

- After 1 year(?) you won't be able to stay in the accommodation so you have to move out to flats. Are the prices of the flats expensive? Any recommendations or websites to find flats close to the university or will the university support you or help you with it?

My mind went blank at this point, gotta think about it later.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is safe as far as I've experienced it. It does have rough areas but its a friendly, small city. With accommodation, it depends on the course and which campus you will be on, I'm doing nursing do only have experience of Heath campus and accommodation which is out of the main centre

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else able to give me some insight

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is a beautiful small city. You'd be surprised about how friendly everyone is. Especially match days! (Rugby). But as with all cities there are the slightly rougher areas and you must always keep your wits about you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the rough areas are pretty out of the way and I can't think of anything there to draw you to them, so you'll probably never even go there. But I've never had any trouble, and think it's a safe city and that isn't a concern at all.

In terms of residence, a summary is:

Taly Court: Best quality, less social.
    Taly South: All round best choice. More social and decent quality.
    Taly North: Like Taly South but not as good.

Can't say much for the other residences or 2nd/3rd year flats sorry :/

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of useful information in this article about Cardiff accommodation:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Accommodation

Personally, I'd recommend Talybont South.

As for getting a flat after first year, I was really surprised at how cheap the rent was compared to my friends who go to other universities in the UK. We received a lot of leaflets from companies who rent out student accommodation which is close to the university, so there's a lot of choice. There was also a talk that was organised for students about finding a good house, things to look for, and what you should ask about etc. I've found that there is a lot of help available if you're stuck with housing, and I didn't have too many problems trying to find a place to live for next year.

As for the safety aspect, I've always felt safe here. I go out by myself a lot, sometimes late at night or in the early hours of the morning, and I've never been worried. Cardiff is a beautiful city. The thing I love about living in Talybont student accommodation is that it's a two minute walk to Bute Park.It's a lovely place to go for a walk along the river and look at the ducks, and personally, I'd find it difficult living in a bigger city like London.

ReputationRep:
    Any further information or experience is welcome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.