Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be asking this question if it wasn't for my GCSEs, which seem quite low (because I didn't take them as seriously as I should) compared to those who apply for some of the top universities for economics.

For my GCSEs, I achieved 5 A*s/As, 3Bs, 2Cs and 2 Merits.

I'm hoping to achieve all A grades in my AS subjects (Economics, Maths, Politics and Computing), which if I work hard, hopefully I will. I'm probably going to drop Politics next year as it takes up the most time to revise for. However, I am intent on studying Further Maths AS next year.

So, I'll be doing: Maths (with stats) A2, Economics A2, Computing A2, FM AS.

----

I'd be looking to apply for Economics or maybe even Economics with Maths depending on my grades at A2. I'm hoping to achieve 2 A*s, 1A and at least a C in FM, preferably a B or above though.

My question: Which universities would I (realistically) be able to apply to and receive an offer from? As some universities are really picky about GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    -.- Wow ok.
    Only Oxbridge may really care about gcses as one of them I believe expect like 5 A*s. gcses really aren't that relevant compared to AS and references/statements.

As long as you got requirements of maths and English, not much to care about

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    -.- Wow ok.
    Only Oxbridge may really care about gcses as one of them I believe expect like 5 A*s. gcses really aren't that relevant compared to AS and references/statements.

As long as you got requirements of maths and English, not much to care about

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. It's just that I've seen so many UCL and LSE applicants on the stalking pages with loads of A*s. Also, just to clarify, I don't mean I achieved 5A*s, I achieved 3A*s and 2As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMan100)
    I wouldn't be asking this question if it wasn't for my GCSEs, which seem quite low (because I didn't take them as seriously as I should) compared to those who apply for some of the top universities for economics.

For my GCSEs, I achieved 5 A*s/As, 3Bs, 2Cs and 2 Merits.

I'm hoping to achieve all A grades in my AS subjects (Economics, Maths, Politics and Computing), which if I work hard, hopefully I will. I'm probably going to drop Politics next year as it takes up the most time to revise for. However, I am intent on studying Further Maths AS next year.

So, I'll be doing: Maths (with stats) A2, Economics A2, Computing A2, FM AS.

----

I'd be looking to apply for Economics or maybe even Economics with Maths depending on my grades at A2. I'm hoping to achieve 2 A*s, 1A and at least a C in FM, preferably a B or above though.

My question: Which universities would I (realistically) be able to apply to and receive an offer from? As some universities are really picky about GCSEs.
    UCL, KCL, LSE-is hard, Oxbridge-very hard, Manchester University , ICL

ReputationRep:
    I would say you stand a chance at Warwick, UCL and below.

ReputationRep:
    Depends more on your AS results imo. Politics and computing are like middle tier subjects and I dont know whether this will have an impact or not.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. Will I be at an advantage if I mention things such as being the first member of my family to attend university in 2 or 3 generations? That my Sixth Form achieves lower than the national average of good A Level grades per student? Etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMan100)
    Thanks for the replies. Will I be at an advantage if I mention things such as being the first member of my family to attend university in 2 or 3 generations? That my Sixth Form achieves lower than the national average of good A Level grades per student? Etc.
    No, do not mention these points either at an interview or in your personal statement. Your sixth form should say about average grades in your reference (if they don't then ask them to) and the point about being the first to go to university in your family will probably make you sound a bit desperate if I'm honest. Just focus on the positive things about yourself.

About ruling out universities, the person who said you couldn't go to Oxbridge with those grades was wrong. For social sciences no university is completely ruled out with those GCSEs, even Oxbridge. Obviously your chances are reduced, but with straight As at AS you're still in with a shot. In fact, your chances are probably most reduced for LSE or UCL as they are pretty much just basing your decision on personal statement and grades - GCSEs will obviously factor more for these unis than ones that do admission tests and interview.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.