Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I am currently at university studying education, however I am wanting to transfer to a different university as I am not enjoying the course at my current university. I have ideas of starting my own clothing business and therefore, I am wondering whether to transfer to a degree in business of some sort such as business management, rather than education as I feel more interested in this as a future career. However, I am not sure whether teaching would be a more secure job as there are lots of risks with setting up a business. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you do Textile engineering and management

or Business management and Logistics.

For setting up a business you need a startup capital.If you have that,you don't need a degree to do it!

If you don't, be a teacher. Save some quids and then kick off the business match.

ReputationRep:
    Does your university have a careers adviser? Definitely have a talk with them if it does, they're usually pretty helpful.

However, I think you really need to have a long think about what it is you want to do: you study education, and suddenly want to switch to clothing, but still have ideas in your head about teaching? Something's not right here. Do bear in mind that no career is a secure thing right now - teaching in particular is becoming more competitive to get into (except for roles like physics, chemistry and maths teachers which schools are crying out for). The places where teaching isn't that competitive are in horrible schools in horrible locations. If you want to teach in a good school you will definitely need to concentrate on gaining teaching experience etc. Also, there is a lot more to jobs than just how secure they are. What is it about teaching that attracts you? There are lots of benefits but also a lot of downsides so you need to consider carefully. Conversely, what is it about clothing or starting a business that attracts you?

Now, I'm not going to pretend I know anything at all about clothing/fashion. However, I would assume to start a business, you would have to at least have a lot of investment money, a very good business idea, and a well rounded knowledge about clothing. Therefore, I would assume you would have to spend many years in a clothing company before you could start your own business. Is this something you want to do? Would you work in a large organisation developing clothing or a small high street retail outlet? Also bear in mind that fashion is, I assume, also very competitive, particularly in London of all places (where you'd probably be working since this is a UK forum).

Lastly, what is it that attracts you about business? Maybe you would want to work in business, then move into clothing, then move into your own business? I'm surprised you would consider business, something that is very profit oriented, alongside teaching as a career - teaching is in general, one of the more poorly paid professions. It takes a very long time to get onto a good salary. You seem to have somewhat conflicting values.

To sum up: you've got some very contrasting career ideas so you really need to have a deep think, nobody can do this for you. Once you decide on what values you hold, where your interests truly lie, and a general idea of what career you would like to pursue, then you can narrow it down to a particular career path, and then a specific degree course. Moreover, you're talking about switching course, so you need to be doubly sure about what you think you want to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.