Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    UMM chose between which 2 r the most important in ure life?

ReputationRep:
    I would lose sense of smell. But you missed that one off

Speech isn't a sense either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visual123)
    Easy, Talking, I'd just by a computer to talk for me.

ReputationRep:
    talkings not a sence stupid!

ReputationRep:
    Speech isn't a sense.

Out of the five senses, I think most people would agree that sight is the most important.

ReputationRep:
    Talking. I love receiving information (hearing, seeing) and would be happy to express myself on paper for the rest of my life.

ReputationRep:
    what about the nice smell of your yourkshire pudding

ReputationRep:
    It would be sight, so I wouldn't have to read rubbish like this. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    what about the nice smell of your yourkshire pudding
    well i would rather taste it and feel it (although smell has a great deal to do with taste) and see it than smell it.

ReputationRep:
    You spend quite a while without smelling anyway(colds) and it is your least developed sense...so losing it would be no big deal if you had to make the choice.

ReputationRep:
    The sixth one.

It's such a bloody nuisance being able to predict the future, read people's minds, talk to the dead, move objects by looking at them etc. I just wanna be normal.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I could live without sound, I have trouble with my hearing anyway and to be honest I'd love to be able to say I was deaf instead of having to explain that I have trouble differentiating voices from background noise...although I'm so bad at languages it would take me a long time to learn sign language.

Plus it would get me out of having to use the hated telephone

ReputationRep:
    yeh, traditionally, talking is not a sense, nor is it currently.

I think out of the five senses, probablyy get rid of smell, though it would affect taste a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    yeh, traditionally, talking is not a sense, nor is it currently.

I think out of the five senses, probablyy get rid of smell, though it would affect taste a lot.
    Just to confirm, the five senses are:
    Sight
    Hearing
    Touch
    Taste
    Smell

Speech is not a sense, it's an ability. It is affected by your sense of hearing; if you have a serious problem with your hearing you won't be able to monitor your own speech to make sure it's comprehensible. A sense is a power by which a living thing perceives the external world.

I would prefer to lose my sense of smell - at least then I could go past bakeries without spending money. Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Speech is not a sense, it's an ability. It is affected by your sense of hearing; if you have a serious problem with your hearing you won't be able to monitor your own speech to make sure it's comprehensible
    Some deaf people can still speak very well from monitoring the vibrations they feel

ReputationRep:
    the smelling 1 probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Smell and taste are linked aren't they? I actually think taste is the least useful, because although I like eating, I could shovel down all those horrible tasting things I don't like, but I could still smell nice things. I'd also be able to tell if my house was on fire too.
    Actually smell and taste are linked. When you taste something, you are half smelling it, which is why if you hold your nose when you eat or drink, you cant taste it well.

ReputationRep:
    But but without the sense of hearing, there would be no music

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.