Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I do A-level German. My mom is native German and lived there until she was 15 and then immigrated to England.
    When I was growing up, we would visit my German family once a year but I was never taught any by my mother.
    She did not speak it at home (my English family said they didn't want me us the get confused between the languages as children) and she never had time to teach it to us anyway because she was always working.
    The school I went to did not offer German as a subject for GCSE or Alevel so I had to go to another school and I did the GCSE because I wanted to acquire some communication skills because I was really limited. I didn't do the GCSE because it was easy, I actually wanted to learn the language properly and get to the same level as other people doing GCSE German.
    For example, I could say "My name is..." and the basic BEFORE doing GCSE German but I could not explain my exercise routines and holiday preferences, which the GCSE course enabled me to achieve.

I then thought doing it for A-Level would be somewhat beneficial. With all my German family speaking English and always saying to me "you should learn to speak German" I sort of felt obliged to. I also wanted to be able to communicate with half my family etc and not be rude and ignorant.

However there are people in my class that think I take the A-level because its an easy Alevel for me and it's just not the case at all. I'm at the same level as them tbh.

My problem is this year I'm applying for university and I wanted to know what universities would think ok this situation. I want to apply to Oxford / KCL / Bristol and wanted to know if it would hinder me.

English is my FIRST language and have never lived in Germany, if that changes anything.

Many thanks !!

ReputationRep:
    Err you must be joking..of course you're not at an advantage at all :s
    Only an advantage if your mother spoke it at home and you were already fluent - even if that were the case you wouldn't have to tell universities haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xx4L3x)
    So I do A-level French. My mom is native German and lived there until she was 15 and then immigrated to England.
    When I was growing up, we would visit my German family once a year but I was never taught any by my mother.
    She did not speak it at home (my English family said they didn't want me us the get confused between the languages as children) and she never had time to teach it to us anyway because she was always working.
    The school I went to did not offer German as a subject for GCSE or Alevel so I had to go to another school and I did the GCSE because I wanted to acquire some communication skills because I was really limited. I didn't do the GCSE because it was easy, I actually wanted to learn the language properly and get to the same level as other people doing GCSE German.
    For example, I could say "My name is..." and the basic BEFORE doing GCSE German but I could not explain my exercise routines and holiday preferences, which the GCSE course enabled me to achieve.

I then thought doing it for A-Level would be somewhat beneficial. With all my German family speaking English and always saying to me "you should learn to speak German" I sort of felt obliged to. I also wanted to be able to communicate with half my family etc and not be rude and ignorant.

However there are people in my class that think I take the A-level because its an easy Alevel for me and it's just not the case at all. I'm at the same level as them tbh.

My problem is this year I'm applying for university and I wanted to know what universities would think ok this situation. I want to apply to Oxford / KCL / Bristol and wanted to know if it would hinder me.

English is my FIRST language and have never lived in Germany, if that changes anything.

Many thanks !!
    You'll be fine, as German is not your first language. Embrace the advantage you have and make the most of it

ReputationRep:
    Who cares if you do? From what you've said, it sounds like you don't really have much of an advantage but I knew a few people who lived in an environment where languages such as Punjabi were always being spoken and they did Punjabi GCSEs and A Levels. It's a qualification that should test your knowledge of the subject. Quite frankly, I don't care how you know what you know, as long as you know it.

There was even someone in my GCSE German class who had spent half their life living in Germany and I can't remember anyone in the class saying that he had an unfair advantage or anything like that. If anyone did, then I suspect it was out of jealousy because really we'd all like to have an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    True true but my mom genuinely doesn't speak German at home, I haven't been brought up bi-lingually and I suspect my teachers think I have an unfair advantage too !!

It's also putting pressure on me aswell because if I don't get full marks in a test or get an average mark the whole class practically gasps

ReputationRep:
    My little sis is in a similar situation - though she's a little younger.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you are at an advantage. If you want to use German in your life, then go learn it. School is a pretty decent place for this learning thing, or so I've heard. It's better than not learning it now, never getting a qualification and finding later in life you need to study it again...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.