Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm on my gap year and well it's coming to an end pretty much. I really need some advice on how to fill up my summer. I've spent most of the year working at a supermarket which has been pretty terrible. I don't think I can cope with spending the summer there, especially when my friends at university will be back and will end up having a better summer then me. I've saved a fair amount (2.5k) Hopefully will have 5k by August/Sept which is the latest that I'm prepared to stick around, because of uni stuff and I'm trying to get some experience for my course. I'd like to keep 2k or so aside for first year but aside from that I want to actually do something memorable in my gap year. It's quite depressing hearing people's gap year stories and realising how dull my year has been. I will be starting my Law degree at the beginning of October, so could spend August/September on travel.

I just want some advice on things I can do to get out of the country? It's too late for summer camp. However, what about teaching in somewhere like Brazil or volunteering? any good links?

If worse comes to worse, I'll probably jack the job in at the beginning of Sept and travel around Europe for a month. ARGH. I had planned to travel around the states for around six weeks with a friend in the summer, however he's currently on the typical gap yah jaunt around SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia etc) and I have no idea whether he'll bail on me.

ReputationRep:
    Learn a language! You won't regret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellyfish123)
    Learn a language! You won't regret it.
    Won't that be costly? I don't really want to get bogged down into something that I doubt I'll be able to continue at university.

I want to do something that is a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Skydive? That's like a once in a lifetime thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazychocx)
    Skydive? That's like a once in a lifetime thing
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    If I was you, I'd book a flight to Guatamala and sort out some Spanish language classes there. Stay there doing the intense classes for a few weeks and then set off around Central America, your Spanish will be enough to get buy food/transport/direction etc.

check out workaway.info or volunteerhq.org

I find volunteer projects such as the latter site tend to be overpriced and often aren't worth it. If you want to volunteer for the sake of volunteering just fly out there and try get something on the ground. The companies are better if you want to make friends to travel with, but there is no guarantee and you could be better off just hanging out in a hostel for a couple of days if that is your goal.
    Thank you both for the suggestions! I'll look into them!

ReputationRep:
    Work for a holiday company in Greece/Ibiza etc etc - they are always interested in people who can start before June/July. http://www.resortwork.co.uk/job-sear...obs______.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Hey buddy, all I can say is, just go! go go go go go! Get away from this country, this weather, your job and the way you're feeling at the moment - the thing is, you'll be working all your life after Uni, so why spend so much time working in your gap year? There are tons of companies that will do trips pretty much within a couple of weeks, sometimes within a couple of days, maybe even tommorow! -

http://www.planmygapyear.co.uk/
    http://www.gadventures.com/trips/affordable/

Both are very cheap and have excursions setting off real soon - the price of flights doesn't change that much in all honesty, especially before Summer, so just pick a place you've always wanted to go to and go for it, because who knows when you'll get that chance again! I've just come back from Costa Rica and Canada teaching English, however there are also medical internships, daycare placements - there are hundreds of companies on the internet so you're bound to find something.

http://www.skyscanner.co.uk/

That website scans all the flights from one place to another over a certain length of time so you're garunteed the cheapest flight. Very useful!

The way I see it, you've been working for half of your gap year, which is great - work experience is so useful and so is the money that comes with it - nothing is lost, now go out and enjoy yourself and spend your hard earnt cash. You say you're gap year is almost over but, October is a long long time away, so you've got loads of time. Plus going round Europe isn't so bad at all, I am planning a trip across Scandanavia in a few weeks and although it's not the typical gap year jaunt, its something I've always wanted to do.

Anyway if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck with your excursions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failtrip)
    x
    Thank you. You're a bloody legend. I'll definitely be looking into planmygapyear and the reviews seemed pretty good!

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm on my gap year and well it's coming to an end pretty much. I really need some advice on how to fill up my summer. I've spent most of the year working at a supermarket which has been pretty terrible. I don't think I can cope with spending the summer there, especially when my friends at university will be back and will end up having a better summer then me. I've saved a fair amount (2.5k) Hopefully will have 5k by August/Sept which is the latest that I'm prepared to stick around, because of uni stuff and I'm trying to get some experience for my course. I'd like to keep 2k or so aside for first year but aside from that I want to actually do something memorable in my gap year. It's quite depressing hearing people's gap year stories and realising how dull my year has been. I will be starting my Law degree at the beginning of October, so could spend August/September on travel.

I just want some advice on things I can do to get out of the country? It's too late for summer camp. However, what about teaching in somewhere like Brazil or volunteering? any good links?

If worse comes to worse, I'll probably jack the job in at the beginning of Sept and travel around Europe for a month. ARGH. I had planned to travel around the states for around six weeks with a friend in the summer, however he's currently on the typical gap yah jaunt around SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia etc) and I have no idea whether he'll bail on me.
    I have not long come back from teaching English in Brazil believe it or not I went through IVHQ 'http://www.volunteerhq.org/' and had THE time of my life. I cannot urge you to travel enough!

All the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyWill)
    I have not long come back from teaching English in Brazil believe it or not I went through IVHQ 'http://www.volunteerhq.org/' and had THE time of my life. I cannot urge you to travel enough!

All the best
    Thanks for the link!

Are you on a gap year also?

OK to PM you a few questions?

ReputationRep:
    As to whether too expensive to learn a language, it depends on whether you would get long-term pleasure from it. I spent my gap year learning German and am so so glad I did, because even though I don't use it for my degree, it's just really cool to be able to speak another language - it has opened up a whole new culture and set of great friendships for me, as well as books, websites etc. So for me it was a great life-long investment, because it's a skill I'll have forever, plus I found it a lot of fun living in the country, going out and meeting people etc. It doesn't have to be really expensive - some language courses are pretty cheap (in Germany for example there are state-subsidised courses from something called the Volkshochschule, which runs adult education classes), and you can do a lot yourself for free: I got 'tandem partners', where you find locals on the internet and spend half the time helping them with English, and they spend half the time helping you with their language. I met some lovely people that way.

But it's not for everyone, and I can understand that you might have itchy feet and want to get out and have an adventure, in which case volunteering abroad might be a great option, eg teaching english, working in an orphanage, a conservation project etc.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link!

Are you on a gap year also?

OK to PM you a few questions?
    No problem I am indeed, and yeah sure go ahead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellyfish123)

But it's not for everyone, and I can understand that you might have itchy feet and want to get out and have an adventure, in which case volunteering abroad might be a great option, eg teaching english, working in an orphanage, a conservation project etc.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!
    I know one official from Russia who may be interested in this. But it depends of the municipal budget resorces mainly. And there are only two weeks had left (until 30/04/2013 ) - to write a worth social project and get money from local budget for it realisation.
    At the moment my students work on three projects: art competition - to decorate the walls around Uni by paintings; charity football competition among local Unies; charity concert among those students who play in small rock bands.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.