Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have been kicked out of my accommodation by my housemates!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I will bullet point it as I didn't realise how excessive my post was
    The TL;DR version of it is

* I failed my first year at university because of abuse I received from my (now ex) boyfriend's family really upset me and was very distracted. For the past academic year I have been going to uni to retake the one module I failed.
    * After the Christmas Holidays my boyfriend started drinking heavily and kept belittling me about the above fact, and would go out and not come home until early in the morning, and wouldn't tell me where he was, as you can imagine I was very worried and with his family past of alcohol and drug abuse, I was doubly worried/
    * Boyfriend passworded his phone and laptop middle of Feb. Later found (about three weeks ago now)out he had been talking to his dad about dumping me.
    * Housemates didn't really pay much attention as we don't really hang out with them, a guest came to stay (middle of Feb) and he noticed that my boyfriend's behaviour was odd
    * One night I had had enough of my boyfriend's emotional abuse, (he refused to eat a dinner I had spent all day cooking) and could see he wasn't all there (possibly drugs) and he has physical attacked me in the past (left bruises etc.) so I called the police on him
    * Police made him leave for the night. I was hoping he'd sober up and apologise the next day.
    * He didn't come back for three week. In these three weeks I received abusive messages from him.
    * Two weeks ago on rent day he tells me he expects me to pay his rent because "I kicked him out"(and he was telling everyone this lie) I had said he was welcome to come back if he apologised
    * I contacted the two housemates about this, they said he'd told them I was sorting everything out, first I'd heard of it
    * Housemates also made some comment about it, and were quite blatant they didn't want me living there anymore
    *Now I have moved out, I had to leave a lot of stuff behind and my housemates are refusing to give me the money they owe me. I paid rent for April and I want my bond back. I was also paying all the utility bills which haven't been paid back for yet.

I just would like some advice on what I should do next, I have almost secured new living arrangements but I don't know what to do about the money I'm owed and my belongings in the mean time etc.

Also some other points
    * We were living in unfurnished accommodation, because I had money saved up before we moved in I bought the bed, wardrobes etc. My boyfriend wants to keep these. I also lent him lots of money over the two year we were at uni together.

* On many occasions I would ask my boyfriend if he was OK and he wouldn't really talk about it.
    I had to learn from the guest that stayed that he had fallen out with his dad at the beginning of the year, also his sister had had a secret baby.

* I received alcohol at Christmas (as you do once you are over 18) I hardly touched it my boyfriend drank 2 big bottles of whiskey in probably what would have been a week. He did give some classic alcoholic excuses, I'm not a big drinker so he said "you're not going to drink it anyway" etc. I have confronted him about his problem, he doesn't think he has a problem.

Also I have nearly completely given up on any communication with him and my messages now go unanswered.

ReputationRep:
    Girl, that really is a bit OTT So what is the question/point?

ReputationRep:
    Just finished reading your autobiography, it seems very unfair. If I had the money to give, then I really would. I doubt it would hurt getting your parents and the landlord involved. he recieves the money so he will care about the reasons you can't pay.

as for taking the stuff to a new place, your in a good position to claim yours if you have proof.

ReputationRep:
    It becomes disputable in a court of law, he can claim they were gifts....your going to have prove that there was a contractual agreement with the things you gave him. An offer, consideration and acceptance.....this just sounds like sour grapes....Did you even have a tenancy agreement?

ReputationRep:
    I would personally cut there utilities off, if the bills are in your names! Because your still liable for them.

ReputationRep:
    Goodness me, what a cluster****. Girls, please do not get involved with boys who are not worth their salt (and vice versa) - life's too short for this sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Summary

1. Boyfriend is a **** , assaulted her and is possibly a drug addict...However she still calls him her boyfriend
    2. Housemates got tired of OP. Probably because she has a **** and a drug addict for a boyfriend
    3. She voluntarily left ( Not kicked out) because her Housemates told her that they didn't like her
    4. She left all her stuff that she paid for, she paid for all the bills and she paid for April's rent
    5. Some other stuff about her Boyfriend owing her money and etc ( You won't get back your money).

Her Question(s)

How do I get my stuff back, utility bills and April's rent?

Answer

1. Go back to the flat and get your things.
    2. If they refuse to pay for the utlity bills then you need to take them to court with the appropriate documentation.
    3. Whether you get April's rent depends on the lease that you signed. SO what type of lease did you have? Did you give notice and etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Summary

1. Boyfriend is a **** , assaulted her and is possibly a drug addict...However she still calls him her boyfriend
    2. Housemates got tired of OP. Probably because she has a **** and a drug addict for a boyfriend
    3. She voluntarily left ( Not kicked out) because her Housemates told her that they didn't like her
    4. She left all her stuff that she paid for, she paid for all the bills and she paid for April's rent
    5. Some other stuff about her Boyfriend owing her money and etc ( You won't get back your money).

Her Question(s)

How do I get my stuff back, utility bills and April's rent?

Answer

1. Go back to the flat and get your things.
    2. If they refuse to pay for the utlity bills then you need to take them to court with the appropriate documentation.
    3. Whether you get April's rent depends on the lease that you signed. SO what type of lease did you have? Did you give notice and etc?
    You've pretty much summed it up really. In the post I have used to word boyfriend just because it's simpler to use the term all the way through the post and because he was my boyfriend for past 4+ years and was at the time all this went down.

I have used the word kicked out as I feel I have been forced to move out by the other three people that were living with me. Even though I've done nothing wrong

The difficult thing is that my mum's house is 100 miles away from my uni, so I will have difficultly moving my furniture, as there is quite a lot of it and only the bed can be taken apart. My mum also has a citroen C1 the smallest car possible and she has a tiny house which will not fit all my items in. I am waiting till I secure my new place and will have to get a moving crew to help me.

I left the copy of the tenancy agreement up there, but when he was trying to get me to pay his share of the rent he said he contacted the landlord, unsure if this is true as I had to call the landlord out to take a look at the boiler a few days before I left and he made no mention of it. Our tenancy agreement is actually up as it ran out in September and we had yet to sign a new one, but really I think he's happy as long as he gets the money it doesn't matter who it comes from.

I have been in contact since I left and at first I wasn't asking for money I was just sorting out the stuff that I will be taking with me to new the flat as soon as it's sorted, it was my ex that started with the whole money thing. He expected me to pay for things that I had actually bought. He wanted me to give him some stupid amount for the stuff and then offered to take the stuff from me for £80 saying "that will be enough to get you started" He should be happy that I have decided to let him keep a desk I bought for £200

I then realised how much money I'm actually owed from the bond/payback of rent for a house I no longer live in/utility bills. So under the advice of my dad I filed a claim with the small claims court, don't know what's going to come of that, but I have looked through my bank account statements as was shocked to see how much money I was actually spending (food shopping, hand outs to him etc.) so I think if he fights the claim I will win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PharmacyRose)

I have used the word kicked out as I feel I have been forced to move out by the other three people that were living with me. Even though I've done nothing wrong
    Well, you have to understand that a court will not see it that way. The only way you can get around this is to claim that they made it physically impossible for you live there

The difficult thing is that my mum's house is 100 miles away from my uni, so I will have difficultly moving my furniture, as there is quite a lot of it and only the bed can be taken apart. My mum also has a citroen C1 the smallest car possible and she has a tiny house which will not fit all my items in. I am waiting till I secure my new place and will have to get a moving crew to help me.
    Ok. Well, as long as you don't take too long then it should be fine.

Also, you are covered till the end of April, so you are ok.

Actually, you may not be able to get April's rent back because your things are still in the property.

I left the copy of the tenancy agreement up there, but when he was trying to get me to pay his share of the rent he said he contacted the landlord, unsure if this is true as I had to call the landlord out to take a look at the boiler a few days before I left and he made no mention of it. Our tenancy agreement is actually up as it ran out in September and we had yet to sign a new one, but really I think he's happy as long as he gets the money it doesn't matter who it comes from.
    The landlord cannot do anything at least the end of April.

Without an agreement, there is very little they can do.

I have been in contact since I left and at first I wasn't asking for money I was just sorting out the stuff that I will be taking with me to new the flat as soon as it's sorted, it was my ex that started with the whole money thing. He expected me to pay for things that I had actually bought. He wanted me to give him some stupid amount for the stuff and then offered to take the stuff from me for £80 saying "that will be enough to get you started" He should be happy that I have decided to let him keep a desk I bought for £200

I then realised how much money I'm actually owed from the bond/payback of rent for a house I no longer live in/utility bills. So under the advice of my dad I filed a claim with the small claims court, don't know what's going to come of that, but I have looked through my bank account statements as was shocked to see how much money I was actually spending (food shopping, hand outs to him etc.) so I think if he fights the claim I will win.
    The things that you can prove you have bought with your bank statements ( ie credit card purchases) and Utility Bills, you should be able to get back.

Other things like food bills paid with cash will be harder to get back.

Also, if he can also claim that some of it was through gifts and etc. So you are going to need to prove that it wasn't such. In case, he does do that, then I would get a text or email from him stating such.

ReputationRep:
    Seems you've been dealing with unfair persons for too long.

People who are nearer to you and know the exact conditions might advise you best, but still... :console:

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest a visit to your student unions advice service

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.