Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We have to put up with racial stereotypes Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I was young, I felt really British but the older I get I just feel more distance. I guess it is due the constant negative racial stereotypes I have to put up with daily.

In pubs, I get things said to me such as "I know you are nice, yea I heard you are not Muslim"

"I know you are not a paki you are *********

Once they find out I am not Muslim or from Pakistan, they like to pour their heart out to me how they hate those type of people but I am ok.

So it makes me think, is that how white people view me when I am in the street, when they don't know where I am from.

Most of my ex gfs has been British white or European and I do come across the negative crap from British whites the most, they do stereotype the most.
    In the past I used to always, try hard to to speak to white people, find common ground, show them not all Asians are the same. That they are so many different cultures and attitudes among Asians But now I don't care any more. I just come to accept I can never get rid of the negative stereotypes. I guess I have grown bitter a bit, I just call them chavs and uneducated.

White people always going on about Muslims not wanting to integrate and accept British values, but at the same time the white British push away those who already integrated and accepted British values.

As for Asian women, they are much worse in a way. Asian women, both south and Oriental love to bad mouth all the negative things about Asian men, so they can fit in with white people, to be more accepted.

I guess that is why I still like my white girls

ReputationRep:
    There is no "way white people see you" we are a diverse people with different attitudes too. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but you're being such a hypocrite here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    There is no "way white people see you" we are a diverse people with different attitudes too. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but you're being such a hypocrite here.
    Most do what I described. I been in many parts of the UK. It is only the liberals who try hard not to stereotype strangers.

ReputationRep:
    For example white British factory workers in the year 1980 who went on holliday in Spain , where not vere populair with the native Spanish workers there , nor with the French visitors of Spain and Dutch visitors either , The UK people were known to be rude and noisy and irritatin while being drunk in Spain ,,,,

How would u then ( in polite words??? ) clasify those UK people without swearing?? This also counts for immigrants in the UK.. what to say of them?

Stereo typification for me just makes it easier to talk....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grannylovers)
    For example white British factory workers in the year 1980 who went on holliday in Spain , where not vere populair with the native Spanish workers there , nor with the French visitors of Spain and Dutch visitors either , The UK people were known to be rude and noisy and irritatin while being drunk in Spain ,,,,

How would u then ( in polite words??? ) clasify those UK people without swearing?? This also counts for immigrants in the UK.. what to say of them?

Stereo typification for me just makes it easier to talk....
    White people always going on about Muslims not wanting to integrate and accept British values, but at the same time the white British push away those who already integrate and accept British values.
    P.S there are different types of Immigrants, so its stupid stereotyping them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssxx)
    British push away those who already integrate and accept British values.
    I dont know how the situation is in the UK, in Holland u have two black guys on television running their own talkshow, and they are doing fine, but a lot of immigrants in Holland dont watch Dutch television, so hell knows what they watch...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grannylovers)
    I dont know how the situation is in the UK, in Holland u have two black guys on television running their own talkshow, and they are doing fine, but a lot of immigrants in Holland dont watch Dutch television, so hell knows what they watch...
    To be honest, I don't blame them. If I was an immigrant in Holland I would not watch dutch tv. I will watch English tv. I guess English is a universal language. I find many Europeans are keen to speak English with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssxx)
    When I was young, I felt really British but the older I get I just feel more distance. I guess it is due the constant negative racial stereotypes I have to put up with daily.

In pubs, I get things said to me such as "I know you are nice, yea I heard you are not Muslim"

"I know you are not a paki you are *********

Once they find out I am not Muslim or from Pakistan, they like to pour their heart out to me how they hate those type of people but I am ok.

So it makes me think, is that how white people view me when I am in the street, when they don't know where I am from.

Most of my ex gfs has been British white or European and I do come across the negative crap from British whites the most, they do stereotype the most.
    In the past I used to always, try hard to to speak to white people, find common ground, show them not all Asians are the same. That they are so many different cultures and attitudes among Asians But now I don't care any more. I just come to accept I can never get rid of the negative stereotypes. I guess I have grown bitter a bit, I just call them chavs and uneducated.

White people always going on about Muslims not wanting to integrate and accept British values, but at the same time the white British push away those who already integrated and accepted British values.

As for Asian women, they are much worse in a way. Asian women, both south and Oriental love to bad mouth all the negative things about Asian men, so they can fit in with white people, to be more accepted.

I guess that is why I still like my white girls
    I know how you feel. Unfortunately with threads like these you'll probably get a load of people denying what you say for whatever reason, and whilst it's obviously not universally true of white British people, it's more of a problem then people care to recognise. I take it you were born in the UK, like I was. I should perhaps explain to people that when you grow up in a country, you feel connected to it, and a part of it. It's very upsetting when people remind you every now and then that you're different, and somehow, less "British" than they are. Although It ultimately is a colour or race issue. I know a guy who is of Dutch origin, has a Dutch last name, yet was born here like the rest of us, and he never has any snide comments made about him being different. And it's funny because he always used to make the most sly racist jokes about me being Chinese, and no one seems to care about the apparent hypocrisy in this, him being just as "foreign" as I am if we apply the logic. To some, it just doesn't matter how "integrated" you are (if you grew up here what more do people expect?) It doesn't matter how well you speak English, or how much more you know about British history and culture than they do, you are just different.

Whilst I can't offer any advice so to speak since it is in no way a shortcoming of your own, I would just say don't let it get you down. Focus on your future, your aspirations etc. Don't think too heavily about the women issue since there is nothing anyone can do to stop you. Since I went to uni in London too, I've had far less trouble with this sort of thing, and have turned my attention to far more important issues in my life and the world. I've made friends that I share interests and perspectives with. You'll never be completely isolated. This is only a small and increasingly insignificant rock after all. There's a whole world out there where people will judge you on the strength of your character rather than the colour of your skin.

If you wanna talk more just PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssxx)
    Herein lies the problem.

You can't base your opinion on white people off your experiences with them in pubs. Not all white people go to the pub you know. I'm not sure why you're so surprised at the stuff you heard in a pub.

It's a pub.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.