Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to take an extra unit (originally 18) in the BTEC level 3 national extended diploma? I mean is there a limit on how many you can take, or can you pick up an extra one, by self teaching yourself, and have it added to your grade?

Thanks in advance to whoever helps

ReputationRep:
    yea, theres more that 18 units, you can do one outside of your 18 and replace it with your lowest unit grade. And you can always revisit units..... Be warned all this is up to your head of department... if they allow you...... self teaching yourself can be bad as it is the end the year and teachers want to get out as quickly as possible so they might not take on the extra work and mark it for you....

ReputationRep:
    Will I have to replace or can I add?

& yeah I've heard it's up to the college, thanks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reggaeiscool)
    Will I have to replace or can I add?

& yeah I've heard it's up to the college, thanks though
    You would do a unit outside your original 18. and replace it with a unit in the original 18(a unit which you got a pass on or something )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    You would do a unit outside your original 18. and replace it with a unit in the original 18(a unit which you got a pass on or something )
    Okay, thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to say that you will also need to persuade your tutor to write the assignment briefs and produce any templates and other resources too, if it isn't a Unit that they normally teach.

At this time of the year I personally wouldn't be willing to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by btectutor)
    Just wanted to say that you will also need to persuade your tutor to write the assignment briefs and produce any templates and other resources too, if it isn't a Unit that they normally teach.

At this time of the year I personally wouldn't be willing to do that.
    Thank you for replying. Luckily the unit I was thinking of doing is in my textbook, therefore I have the briefs. Also the resources I need are in the textbook.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Although you can use an assignment in the book, the assignment brief still has to be verified by a member of the teaching team and then you still need to get a lecturer to agree to mark it to BTEC standards. You cannot use it to replace a unit you got a Pass in, if that unit has already been claimed for as part of the Certificate or Subsidiary or 90 Credit Diploma. Depending on how your college registers, this may have been done.
    You can get as much conflicting information as you like on this forum, but the only person who can tell you if this is possible, will be your tutor. I would also question why you want to do this as there is no benefit to be had. If you have a lower grade in a unit already done, it would be easier to ask your tutor if you could upgrade that, rather than do extra work.
    bamtutor (Business Studies lecturer and Edexcel Standards Verifier)

ReputationRep:
    Got to agree with everything Bamtutor has said above.
    Hopefully by now you have spoken to your tutor and sorted this out.

ReputationRep:
    As your doing more than 18 im stuggling with my
    course work can you help mate?

thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.