Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My spec says I have to learn The role of the liver in glycogenesis and gluconeogenesis.

I know that when glucose level falls, glucagon is released which then binds to receptors on the liver which release enzymes to cause Gluconeogenesis (converting glycerol and amino acids into glucose)

What I dont understand is how the liver has any role in glycogenesis. Since this is only needed when glucose is high, it is under the control of the b cells which release insulin. Insulin can bind to receptors of any body cell and isnt reliant on the liver. this comes back to my question, what is the role of the liver in glycogenesis.

im doing AQA. Any help will be appreciated

Insulin stimulates the liver to take up glucose and convert it to glycogen. The liver and skeletal muscle are the major sites of glycogenesis and glycogen storage in the body, glycogenesis only occurs here.

Hope this helps
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.