Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am international student, considering studying in the UK.
    i short listed (or made a list lol, it isn't short) of universities I considering. I would like to study medicine.
    Can you please rank the following universities in the order which you deem best for medicine?
    I don't want it to be ranked based on prestige, but whether the medical program is excellent as well.
    Newcastle
    Sheffield
    University of Birmingham
    King's College
    University of Nottingham
    University of Leeds
    University of Bristol
    University of southhamton
    University of Glasgow
    University of Dundee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadie21)
    i short listed (or made a list lol, it isn't short) of universities I considering. I would like to study medicine.
    Can you please rank the following universities in the order which you deem best for medicine?
    I don't want it to be ranked based on prestige, but whether the medical program is excellent as well.
    Newcastle
    Sheffield
    University of Birmingham
    King's College
    University of Nottingham
    University of Leeds
    University of Bristol
    University of Glasgow
    University of Dundee
    All medical programs in the UK are equal. What is 'best' for one person may not be for another - you need to look at the teaching methods on offer and work out what would suit you best. You then need to look at the entry requirements and work out which you have the best shot at - 60% of applicants get no offers each year, so you need to apply to those where you have the greatest chance of entry.

ReputationRep:
    Decide when youve done your ukcat. I changed all of my choices after my ukcat.

ReputationRep:
    As was mentioned, prestige really doesn't matter for medicine. The main differences in courses is whether they are problem based learning, traditional (lecture based) or a blend. There's also the question of when your clinical exposure begins. At very traditional academic universities it's quite late, at the newer medical schools it tends to be earlier.

Have a think about what you want and go from there. Remember, all the medical schools are spoilt for choice in terms of applicants so you need to make it clear that you want to go to their school rather than just anywhere and one of the best ways to do this is showing that you know about their course and that the style suits you.

The other (potentially lesser) thing to consider is what kind of place you want to go to for 5+ years - campus/city etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldie_2013)
    At very traditional academic universities
    As opposed to 'non-academic' universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    I'm guessing they mean Russell Group as opposed to places like Keele.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Apologies for any confusion - either genuine or pedantic in nature.

Medical schools like Oxford, Cambridge etc where a lot of emphasis is placed on science would be what I mean by "academic" in this context as opposed to medical schools like UEA which place less emphasis on the science and more on practical skills early on.

So, academic in a relative sense. Obviously all medical schools are academic in an absolute sense. Obvious to an extent that you'd think it unnecessary to clarify but there we are.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much to all!
    i will try to choose based on an individual basis as opposed to reputation...thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadie21)
    Newcastle
    Sheffield
    University of Birmingham
    King's College
    University of Nottingham
    University of Leeds
    University of Bristol
    University of Glasgow
    University of Dundee
    Different universities suit different people. Perhaps equally important, different universities prefer different applicants and have different admission policies. For a UK student, A level exam grades and the UKCAT score should guide the student about where to apply and where not to apply. There is advice on 'applying to your strengths' here... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
    Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.