Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As a international student, I know very little about educational system in the UK. I'm sure there are more international students here who would like to have some information about that.

I know that there are two semesters and three terms. How many courses do we have in one year? How many tests do we have for one course? How many times we can have final exam for one course (in case you don't pass, for example in my country we have three chances for one course before you lose a year )? Does the final exam cover material of the whole semester or just material we have after last test?

Hope you understand my questions! Sorry for my english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JelenaM)
    As a international student, I know very little about educational system in the UK. I'm sure there are more international students here who would like to have some information about that.

I know that there are two semesters and three terms. How many courses do we have in one year? How many tests do we have for one course? How many times we can have final exam for one course (in case you don't pass, for example in my country we have three chances for one course before you lose a year )? Does the final exam cover material of the whole semester or just material we have after last test?

Hope you understand my questions! Sorry for my english
    For university level education:

- The amount of modules/courses you do in one year varies. Each course is worth a certain number of credits, and can last for 1 or 2 semesters. Other than your dissertation, usually modules are 10 or 20 credits. I myself have my dissertation (which is worth 40 credits), and then do 8 x 10 credit modules - 4 in semester one, 4 in semester two. If I had of wanted, I could have done 5 in one semester, and 3 in the other - but it couldn't be more unequal than that.

- Tests depend on the courses you do. Some courses will be coursework only, some will have an exam. Generally you have at most one exam per course, although I have heard of courses with two exams, but I believe this are fairly rare.

- Resitting rules vary from university to university, but generally you take the test once, if you fail, then in some cases you will progress to the next year anyway (one instance of this is if you only failed one exam, and your average across the year was more than 45%). If you don't meet any of the rules like that, you can resit exams once, however the maximum mark you can get is 40% (a pass) - if you get higher than 40% it gets marked down to 40%. If you have a good reason for failing an exam, for instance if you were very ill, you can apply to take your exam again as a 'first-sit' - which basically means it is the same as if you sat the exam when everyone else did.

- The exams will cover the material covered in the module. So if the module was only for one semester, then the exam will only be on what you covered that semester. With full year modules, you might have one exam at the end of the year covering everything, or have two exams, one at the end of each semester, covering only what you learnt in that semester.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! It helps a lot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.