Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should students be expected to give money to their old uni after graduation? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would/do you donate to your money after graduating?
    Yes
    27.27%
    No, I don't want to
    36.36%
    No, but I would if I could afford to
    36.36%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This think piece on The Independent today:

"There is a shocking figure in the new Ross-CASE survey of giving to universities published today...In 2011-12, the mean proportion of their traceable alumni who made a gift was just over 1 per cent. At only seven UK universities did more than four per cent of alumni make a gift."

I must admit to not finding those statistics all that shocking. Should students be expected to partly fund their universities once they have graduated?

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think alumni should be expected to; but I know Universities are looking into this funding stream a lot more now, which is why my older sister and other friends get phone calls from their Uni to check if they're rich yet.

I may consider it myself if I ever get into that sort of financial position, but there are better causes to give your money too!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I agree that those figures aren't shocking at all to those used to our system. I guess it would shock people from some places though. I don't think there should be any obligation to help fund your old but as a new graduate (when you're least likely to be able to afford it) helping the uni improve and therefore become better noticed by employers would benefit you, after a while though your own experience becomes more important than that of the uni's. It's still a nice thing to do if they helped you I guess though.

I have not been to uni, hope to start with the ou fairly soon, I do not support colleges/schools i've been too financially but do tell people how brilliant *some* are and have helped out as an extra pair of hands at events.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Oxford is getting none of my money, haha. Unless it were to start some kinda bursary but that would require millions and it's unlikely I'll ever have much money to give them :nopity:

Goldsmiths, I'd potentially give something :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Only if it contributes to a worthwhile cause such as undergraduate scholarships and helping fund students from less fortunate backgrounds who can't afford a higher education due to financial difficulties. In that case i would definitely give money.

ReputationRep:
    lol no, most students are already paying more than it costs the university for them to be there.

ReputationRep:
    I would only give money to universities whose research I deem useful. My uni is one of those I guess.

ReputationRep:
    If I had the money I would donate to my university. But then again I want to be an active alumni, I want to come back and talk to the professors and attend lectures etc.

ReputationRep:
    It must depend on your experience there, surely. If you think your uni was a dump, your tutors a bunch of dreary third-raters, and most of your fellow students a crowd of troglodytes you are presumably unlikely to want to fork out!

ReputationRep:
    They'll get enough off me. They can bugger off.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely don't think that it should be expected. Although if I were to have the money then I would try to give back something considering the huge fee reduction and bursary that I'm currently receiving.

ReputationRep:
    My uni can piss off if it's expecting anything, they've had more than they're worth already.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    No, not at all. It takes people decades to pay back their fees as it is.

ReputationRep:
    Don't they get enough each year from us? 9k/year is enough I think.

ReputationRep:
    Part of the principal's speech at my graduation was about how we should give money to the university for an undergraduate scholarship programme. I might when I have a decent salary in the future, but I was hardly likely to as a new, unemployed graduate! I couldn't believe it: the scholarships wouldn't be as necessary if accommodation hadn't almost doubled in price over the last five years, and if they hadn't been greedy when setting new RUK fees...

I wouldn't just give them more money for no particular reason.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people can be expected to donate, but if you were a multi-millionaire 20 years later then I can imagine it would be a nice thing to do (if it was worth it). People on normal salaries can't be criticised for not going over and above paying off their student loan.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Oxford is getting none of my money, haha. Unless it were to start some kinda bursary but that would require millions and it's unlikely I'll ever have much money to give them :nopity:

I think Oxford is one of the main ones that receives money, especially Worcester. J Sainsbury's even provides food, I hope they factored that into their survey :huff:

I'd probably only ever do something similar if I was fantastically successful. If I owned a massive Pen company for example, I'd happily donate pens to students.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think we pay the universities enough as it is?

ReputationRep:
    Ill be getting alot of money in scholarships, id quite like to be able to give something back one day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I might donate to certain bursary schemes which have helped me a lot. But I don't think I'd give to the uni itself, it has enough money

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.