Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will squatting with an 8kg weight do anything? (girl) watch

I have a bar of weight 8kg, and I'm doing 30-40 squats (my legs pretty much crumble beneath me after this point) with it twice a day.

I'm a rather weak girl who doesn't do any exercise apart from walking to and from school (15 mins) everyday. I'm 5ft tall and weigh 46kg.

I really want to lose fat and build muscle on my legs. Will the squatting achieve this, or am I wasting my time? Is 8kg enough?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I have a bar of weight 8kg, and I'm doing 30-40 squats (my legs pretty much crumble beneath me after this point) with it twice a day.

I'm a rather weak girl who doesn't do any exercise apart from walking to and from school (15 mins) everyday. I'm 5ft tall and weigh 46kg.

I really want to lose fat and build muscle on my legs. Will the squatting achieve this, or am I wasting my time? Is 8kg enough?

Thanks
    Hello there,
    It's good that you want to improve your strength in your legs.

Squatting is one of the best exercises you can do for your legs. Using no weight is beneficial, but using weight is very beneficial. The main area of the leg it will work is your thighs (upper part of your leg). Try and split up the routine into maybe three sets of 10 reps, using a heavier weight. So make the weight heavy enough to make it difficult on the 10th rep. Rest for 2 minutes then repeat!

If you're also looking to work your calf muscles (lower half of legs), you could do calf raises. Basically, you stand on the edge of a raised platform, with the back half of your foot hanging over the edge. Push up and down.

So, if you want better results, up your intensity and split up the routine. Another note, to loose fat and build muscle, your body needs the right foods. Get a good amount of protein in, and try to avoid saturated fats, you can have some, but try to avoid it.

OK, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Any weight is enough, as long as you are increasing it as you train! Doing 1 set of 30-40 reps isn't ideal for this progression though - I'd do as the above poster said and split it into multiple sets of lower reps. And to be honest, I would heartily recommend getting on a proper strength training program! Squatting will indeed build muscle on your legs, but including other exercises will help even more We guys may not like girls with really fat legs (for the most part), but skinny legs aren't the most attractive either.

For the most part, diet and exercise advice should be the same for girls as it is for guys. To lose fat, you must consume less energy than you expend for an extended period of time, and you will lose fat everywhere on your body.

I recommend reading this article, even if it is a bit long
    http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

(Original post by Flying Pig)
    Hello there,
    It's good that you want to improve your strength in your legs.

Squatting is one of the best exercises you can do for your legs. Using no weight is beneficial, but using weight is very beneficial. The main area of the leg it will work is your thighs (upper part of your leg). Try and split up the routine into maybe three sets of 10 reps, using a heavier weight. So make the weight heavy enough to make it difficult on the 10th rep. Rest for 2 minutes then repeat!

If you're also looking to work your calf muscles (lower half of legs), you could do calf raises. Basically, you stand on the edge of a raised platform, with the back half of your foot hanging over the edge. Push up and down.

So, if you want better results, up your intensity and split up the routine. Another note, to loose fat and build muscle, your body needs the right foods. Get a good amount of protein in, and try to avoid saturated fats, you can have some, but try to avoid it.

OK, good luck.
    Thanks! How heavy is heavy though? I thought 8kg was pretty heavy. I guess not.

Also, will this squatting make my bum better? I thought that was the main reason why people squatted, I want a good bum!

(Original post by Implication)
    Any weight is enough, as long as you are increasing it as you train! Doing 1 set of 30-40 reps isn't ideal for this progression though - I'd do as the above poster said and split it into multiple sets of lower reps. And to be honest, I would heartily recommend getting on a proper strength training program! Squatting will indeed build muscle on your legs, but including other exercises will help even more We guys may not like girls with really fat legs (for the most part), but skinny legs aren't the most attractive either.

For the most part, diet and exercise advice should be the same for girls as it is for guys. To lose fat, you must consume less energy than you expend for an extended period of time, and you will lose fat everywhere on your body.

I recommend reading this article, even if it is a bit long
    http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html
    Thanks I don't want to become a hardcore fitness person though, I just want to get better legs and a nice bum.

Btw, what do you think of the 30 day squat challenge thing (if you've heard of it)? Is that something that actually works?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I started with an 8kg kettlebell.
    Generally speaking if your bum/legs hurt then it's working

ReputationRep:

Also, will this squatting make my bum better? I thought that was the main reason why people squatted, I want a good bum!

Thanks I don't want to become a hardcore fitness person though, I just want to get better legs and a nice bum.

Btw, what do you think of the 30 day squat challenge thing (if you've heard of it)? Is that something that actually works?
    Before you set off, you should do trial and error to see how much weight you can squat 10 times. So make a 'guestimate'. For example, you lift 8kg 10 times, and you think, "I'm not being pushed at all" - this is when you should maybe add another 5kg or so. Keep doing this until you find a weight that exhausts you on the 10th rep.

Oh, and before you get into the habit of speeding through your sets. When exercising, the aim is not speed but instead intensity and focus. Slowly (AND I MEAN SLOWLY) squat down, then SLOWLY comeback up. Keep you back STRAIGHT and keep a good BALANCE. If you have bad balance, use a wall to make you feel more comfortable, but don't actually lean on the wall :P

As for your bum, this exercise mainly focuses on the muscles in your thighs. That being said, it will probably tone it up a bit, squats kill :P Uhh, if you're going to bother squatting, you may as well do other body parts such as chest, abs, arms, calfs and back as it will keep you in proportion.

For focus on your butt:
    1. Step-ups (Proper step-ups. Use a decent heightened step and hold dumbells in both hands. If you dont have dumbells you can use baked bean cans lol :P)

2. Lunges (Proper lunges that are controlled)

ReputationRep:

What do you mean be a "hardcore fitness person"? Transforming your body may be easy in the sense that what you have to do is quite simple, but realistically you aren't going to make much progress if you aren't dedicated to what you're doing! It's simple, but requires hard work.

If the 30 day squat challenge is what I think it is (building up to 300 squats over 30 days) then yeah I guess it will work a bit... but nowhere near as well building up to 3 sets of 10 squats, for example, at a heavier weight than you can currently do! As someone else said, you really should train the rest of your body for balance and proportionality, although one could argue that the legs and bum are the more "important" bits for a female I suppose. Full squats (i.e. squatting so low that your bum is right by your ankles) will give your bum one hell of a workout too, but doing this with decent form (most importantly with a "straight" back) is unlikely to be possible for you without a serious stretching routine. Including other exercises that work your glutes (weighted deadlifts, for example), will be much more beneficial than just squatting.

Once again, progressing to lifting heavier amounts on several lifts is immeasurably superior to progressing to a larger number of reps on a single lift. I promise

ReputationRep:
    You obviously got a stimulus from this so yes, it will do something. At that rep range you're into strength endurance and preparing your connective tissues for heavier work, which to be honest a lot of people would do well to work on before upping the weight on the bar.

ReputationRep:
    You're on the right tracks, but as someone else said, reduce the number of repetitions and increase the weight.

Squats are the King of exercises for good booty. Also, do some lunges on each leg. You can also vary it up a bit by introducing wide-stance squats - squatting with your feet further apart so that you really feel it in the groin area.

You can complement your fat-busting/booty-shaping routine by doing three half-hour jogs a week too. Running just melts fat off your body and makes your whole system more effective.

Finally, drink LOADS of water as it helps your body to metabolise fat more effectively, and go easy on the bad fats.

ReputationRep:
    Remember this simple piece of semantics: training just means practice.

We get better at what we practice at.

Squatting with 8kg makes you better at squatting with 8kg.

Squatting with increasing weights makes you better at squatting increasing weight i.e. it makes you stronger.

Within an individual, building muscle is strongly correlated with getting stronger i.e. to build muscle - the best thing to do is focus on getting stronger.

ReputationRep:
    Only you know if 8kg is enough, if your ''feeling'' it then it is working, also if your making gains then it's working. It dosent matter if your weak, take things easy and slowly slowly you will get stronger.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Weighted squats that tire you out will develop the muscles there but you can't target specific areas of the body for burning fat - any fat you lose will come off of wherever it decides to come off of.

ReputationRep:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but 8kg isn't very heavy My PB is 105kg and I am not a "good" squatter by any means.
    I don't know how heavy your schoolbag is, but you probably walk round with not much less than 8kg a lot...

If you want to get stronger you need to increase the weight and drop the number of reps, as the majority of posters have said.
    Squats are a good exercise because they engage major muscle groups and require a lot of energy, especially when performed to full depth (with good form!) and with a lot of weight added.

You can't spot-reduce fat, so squatting will not make you lose fat on your legs. Burning more calories than you consume will. Eat plenty of lean protein and veg and you can't go wrong. See the nutrition sticky (linked in my sig) for ideas and tips.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.