Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do people have short memories regarding the economic crises of the past? Watch

ReputationRep:
    One of the largest reasons for the rejection of the Labour Party today is the fact that Gordon Brown's handling of the economic crisis of 2008 was dire to say the least, which makes them completely untrustworthy to handle the current austerity crisis. Which is a fair point.

However, is it that the electorate have typically short memories regarding the Conservative handling of their own problems of the early 90s, particularly the memorable 'Black Wednesday', when they managed to get the value of the pound absolutely slaughtered and get us chucked out the ERM on one day?

(By the way, I'm un partisan here - I'm neither supporting Labour nor Conservative in this question, it was just a thought I had that came into my mind)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantmeowage)
    One of the largest reasons for the rejection of the Labour Party today is the fact that Gordon Brown's handling of the economic crisis of 2008 was dire to say the least, which makes them completely untrustworthy to handle the current austerity crisis. Which is a fair point.

However, is it that the electorate have typically short memories regarding the Conservative handling of their own problems of the early 90s, particularly the memorable 'Black Wednesday', when they managed to get the value of the pound absolutely slaughtered and get us chucked out the ERM on one day?

(By the way, I'm un partisan here - I'm neither supporting Labour nor Conservative in this question, it was just a thought I had that came into my mind)
    They vote Labour because they are scared of change. They complain about the governments, but continue to vote for the same party's every single time.

The only consistent voters of Labour are minorities & upper class white snobs.

Labour will have us going backwards with more immigration, more PCorrectness. etc. It also holds bigots like Dianne Abbott & Medhi Hassan. Oh, and people like this guy Shahid Malik (First Ever Labour Muslim MP)..Who propose the whole Labour cabinet will be Muslim to instate a Muslim PM. 'Inshallah, in 30 years we will have a Muslim PM'. See for yourself. Same message..worldwide.

ReputationRep:
    People look back with rose tinted spectacles.

For example, look at Thatcher: On facebook I saw some people moning about how George Osborne will never be as good at Thatcher because he makes too many cutbacks. Yet, Thatcher was more radical than Osborne.

People just talk a load of bull to look intelligent and just use it to their advantage to vote for the party they were probably already going to vote for. Example: A rich middle class man will always vote Conservative because of lower tax rates, and to look less selfish, he'll blame it on Gordon Brown.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.