Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Intermediate 2 Maths : Mode, Median, Ranger, Quartiles, Semi Quartile Range Help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me find the Mode, Median, Range, Quartiles, and Semi Interquartile Range from this table? Its an assignment and I have no clue how to do it!

Thanks!Name:  SAM_0270.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  133.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thescottishboy96)
    Its an assignment and I have no clue how to do it!
    Why have you ben given an assignment that you have no understanding of

Perhaps look at BiteSize to get some basic understanding

ReputationRep:
    Because for us to be able to sit the final exam we have to complete this assignment, however I have been off a few lessons when this has been gone over, and could really do with a hand!

ReputationRep:
    Mode - is the number which appears the most
    Median - This is the middle number in an ordered list of the data
    Range - Highest take away the lowest number
    Quartiles - Your Q1 which is the middle number of the lower part of the ordered list of data, Your Q2 which is your median, and Q3 which is the middle number of the higher part of the ordered list
    Semi Interquartile Range - Q3 minus Q1 divided by 2

I'd rather you used that information to help yourself with it than someone giving you the answers, because you won't learn that way, unfortunately.

Example:

Data: 1,1,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12

Mode - 1
    Median - 5.5
    Range - 11
    Quartiles - Q1= 1.5, Q2= 5.5, Q3= 9.5
    Semi Interquartile Range - 9.5-1.5/2 = 4

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Shannon, however, I amen't all that sure how to apply it to the table? In this case, would the mode in my table be 9? or would it be 28-30 because 9 falls into the 28-30 age category? Or is this wrong? Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Shannon, however, I amen't all that sure how to apply it to the table? In this case, would the mode in my table be 9? or would it be 28-30 because 9 falls into the 28-30 age category? Or is this wrong? Thanks again!

In your table I think, the mid value of 29 would be the mode, as it is the number that appears the most. Your frequency column highlights how many times that number appears. So, in this set of data 29 appears nine times. Just as 17 doesn't appear at all, 20 appears twice and so on.

ReputationRep:
    If in doubt with that though, I would just write down the category of 28-30

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Shannon~)
    If in doubt with that though, I would just write down the category of 28-30
    The modal group is 28-30

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.