Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am hoping to get some advice about the following.

I am a mature student 27 and after working for 12 years i decided to go get an academic background in Hospitality after being in the industry for on off my whole working life.

I am currently studying international hospitality management, which to be honest i have not learnt a lot from - it's just to get a degree at this stage which will enable to immigrate.

However i have just found out as a "compulsory" part of the course we have to do work experience.

They have only brought this out in the past few weeks as they have realized they had run out of work for us to do!

So now i have to work 9-5 in a restaurant for free for 3 days, bearing in mind i have worked in restaurants for years. It cost me £10 a day to get to the restaurant. Plus i have to go out and buy a long sleeved black shirt and a black tie so add another £20 quid. So i will be out of pocket for £50. I work 2 jobs and i have 2 assignments due that week i will be working.

As you can tell i really do not want to do it! Its unnecessary. We also have a placement year. So i do not see the point. I am 27 and do not need to work for free to gain "experience" .

What should i do in this situation? I do not want to offend any of my tutors! Is there any way i can get out of it?

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    You need to speak to your tutors. Explain that you have worked in the industry for ten years and don't feel that a weeks work experience will be beneficial, ask if you can be exempt from it based on your previous extensive experience. It might also help to point out that you are a mature student and are working two jobs to support yourself. I don't see that it would cause offence if you put it in the right way.

ReputationRep:
    Speak to you tutor to see if any of your previous experience will count. But if it is only 3 days like you said then it might just be best to 'suck it up' and do it. You never know, if you're good then the restaurant may well pay you or give you your share of tips.

ReputationRep:
    It's only three days. Assuming you weren't a direct entrant into the course because of your previous work experience, then that won't (and shouldn't be) a consideration and this is just another part of the course. It's a level playing field and you'll be assessed in the same way that other students are, which is completely appropriate.

Your tutors don't have any direct feedback on exactly how you operate in a work situation, so it'll provide them with a practical demonstration of your strengths. In this situation, it isn't about providing you with experience. Presumably they already know about your working background, so in your case it's probably more about seeing how well you knuckle down to something which you see as beneath you, and whether you can operate with a good grace and be a useful member of a team. If you start out by complaining that you don't need to do it, that's not going to be a helpful foundation.

If there was no advance notice before you signed up to the course, then you have grounds for complaint. However, that would probably need the majority of people on your course to join forces before it was taken seriously. When I was an undergrad we always knew that there was a one month fieldwork aspect to be fulfilled. What we weren't told, was that it would cost over £800. This was announced six months beforehand. Our student reps and the Student Union got involved and an alternative was put in place which was free.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.