Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've received offers for straight law at all three of these Universities, Bristol and Edinburgh are looking for 3As and Glasgow for 2As and B. All three are great universities and high on the league tables both overall and law specific so I guess it's more about which city I'd like to go to, I havn't got long left to decide, any advice?

Edit: Oh and also Bristol is a 3 year course, whereas Edinburgh and Glasgow are 4 year courses plus an extra year for a conversion course to UK law which I would do at a Uni in England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OdhranL)
    I've received offers for straight law at all three of these Universities, Bristol and Edinburgh are looking for 3As and Glasgow for 2As and B. All three are great universities and high on the league tables both overall and law specific so I guess it's more about which city I'd like to go to, I havn't got long left to decide, any advice?

Edit: Oh and also Bristol is a 3 year course, whereas Edinburgh and Glasgow are 4 year courses plus an extra year for a conversion course to UK law which I would do at a Uni in England
    If your ultimate career goal is to be a solicitor / barrister - I'd go with Bristol.

The conversion course you're talking about if you to go Edinburgh or Glasgow is not funded by SFE, so you'd have to fund the one year course yourself, which costs up to £10,000.

If you want to be a barrister or solicitor, you also have to do another, one year, course which costs up to £15,000 and isn't funded by SFE.

You should note that you can get a Career Development Loan of UP TO £10,000 - so you would only be able to fund one course.

I, personally, would go to Bristol as it's much less money to pay out in the long run.

If you don't want to work in law, then you should go to whichever one you like the best!

ReputationRep:

With Edinburgh/Glasgow you'll be studying for 5 years before you reach the same position as if you'd chosen Bristol.

Are you Scottish/EU (i.e. will you get free tuition?). If so, you might consider the Scottish unis, in which case I'd go with Edinburgh over Glasgow, purely from a reputation and prestige point of view, which matters a lot in Law.

However, I would say Bristol is your best option - it's a shorter route by two years, and two years of your life is a lot.

(Original post by Knalchemist)
    If you want to be a barrister or solicitor, you also have to do another, one year, course which costs up to £15,000 and isn't funded by SFE.
    ^ He'd have to do this year if he went to Bristol too, correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Upper Echelons)
    With Edinburgh/Glasgow you'll be studying for 5 years before you reach the same position as if you'd chosen Bristol.

Are you Scottish/EU (i.e. will you get free tuition?). If so, you might consider the Scottish unis, in which case I'd go with Edinburgh over Glasgow, purely from a reputation and prestige point of view, which matters a lot in Law.

However, I would say Bristol is your best option - it's a shorter route by two years, and two years of your life is a lot.

^ He'd have to do this year if he went to Bristol too, correct?
    Yes, but if OP goes to Edinburgh or Glasgow, they have to study the GDL... which isn't funded by SFE.

OP could get a Career Development Loan for this... but then they wouldn't have any funding for the LPC / BPTC. Unless they were lucky enough to get a funded one via a Pupillage / TC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    Yes, but if OP goes to Edinburgh or Glasgow, they have to study the GDL... which isn't funded by SFE.

OP could get a Career Development Loan for this... but then they wouldn't have any funding for the LPC / BPTC. Unless they were lucky enough to get a funded one via a Pupillage / TC.
    Yep, I know that, I was just confirming that I hadn't missed something.

Basically, I think OP can rule out Glasgow in favour of Edinburgh.

Edinburgh = 6 years to become a qualified solicitor/barrister
    Bristol = 4 year

Bristol and Edinburgh have pretty much the same reputation, so I'd go with Bristol.

ReputationRep:

English law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Upper Echelons)
    Yep, I know that, I was just confirming that I hadn't missed something.

Basically, I think OP can rule out Glasgow in favour of Edinburgh.

Edinburgh = 6 years to become a qualified solicitor/barrister
    Bristol = 4 year

Bristol and Edinburgh have pretty much the same reputation, so I'd go with Bristol.
    Oh sorry!

Yeah as Upper said, I'd go with Bristol or Edinburgh, depending on your circumstances (money and whether you want to work in law etc). Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    You have to go with Bristol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.