Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I passed my test about 2 months ago and am insured to drive my dad's car. Problem is I have very little if any confidence about driving. I panic about going out for a drive and always want someone else in the car with me to reassure me a bit.

I'm looking for anything to help me be more confident in the car - i passed my test with 3 minors so I obviously can drive, it's just a major confidence issue.
    I was thinking a pass plus course could maybe help me with this? I know people say it is useless for lowering insurance but that's not what I'm bothered about - i'd just be doing it to purely get me more confident in driving around. What does everyone think to this idea? anyone else done the pass plus course - if so how did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    You'll find you will be more nervous once passing and driving on your own, but once you've driven for about a month or so, you'll become more confident.
    Best way is to throw yourself in the deep end.

The pass plus course may help you, but it may just delay the inevitable. You already know you can drive. It doesn't generally lower inusrance costs.

Have someone drive with you on the motorway for the first time by all means, but just drive around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    You'll find you will be more nervous once passing and driving on your own, but once you've driven for about a month or so, you'll become more confident.
    Best way is to throw yourself in the deep end.

The pass plus course may help you, but it may just delay the inevitable. You already know you can drive. It doesn't generally lower inusrance costs.

Have someone drive with you on the motorway for the first time by all means, but just drive around
    Thanks for your help i get so nervous about going out by myself in case i crash.....I was driving along the road today and clipped my wing mirror on a parked car. Luckily there was no damage to either car but it just knocked my confidence further....But i guess you are right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpottedZebra)
    Thanks for your help i get so nervous about going out by myself in case i crash.....I was driving along the road today and clipped my wing mirror on a parked car. Luckily there was no damage to either car but it just knocked my confidence further....But i guess you are right
    You soon learn the size of your car and what you can/can't get through gap wise. If you don't think you have enough room, you probably don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    You soon learn the size of your car and what you can/can't get through gap wise. If you don't think you have enough room, you probably don't.
    Yeah, I'm having difficulty adjusting to my dad's car. The car I learnt in was a small Corsa with a 1.2 litre engine. My dad's car is a VW golf with a 1.9 turbo diesel engine so it's much bigger and more powerful

ReputationRep:
    Pass plus won't help. Soon as you're on your own again it'll obviously be the same feeling - no-one there to keep you company.

Just keep driving.

Frankly - and I know I'll get neg ratings for this - if you're too scared to be on the road, you shouldn't have a licence. Just like with any vehicle or machinery that needs training, I would never qualify someone if they were openly nervous about using it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuart_aitken)
    Pass plus won't help. Soon as you're on your own again it'll obviously be the same feeling - no-one there to keep you company.

Just keep driving.

Frankly - and I know I'll get neg ratings for this - if you're too scared to be on the road, you shouldn't have a licence. Just like with any vehicle or machinery that needs training, I would never qualify someone if they were openly nervous about using it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry, but I'd disagree with you there. Plenty of people have nerves about driving but are still safe on the roads. And even more new drives are nervous in the first few months of driving alone. It's just about getting used to driving - I passed with 3 minors and so even though I have little confidence, I know in myself that I am a competent driver.

ReputationRep:
    One idea that has worked for a few newbies in your situation ....

Get a helpful experienced driver to sit in the back and have them read a newspaper/book etc

Although you know they are there to ask & assist should you get into any difficulties, you will feel as though you are driving on your own

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I passed my test about 2 months ago and am insured to drive my dad's car. Problem is I have very little if any confidence about driving. I panic about going out for a drive and always want someone else in the car with me to reassure me a bit.

I'm looking for anything to help me be more confident in the car - i passed my test with 3 minors so I obviously can drive, it's just a major confidence issue.
    I was thinking a pass plus course could maybe help me with this? I know people say it is useless for lowering insurance but that's not what I'm bothered about - i'd just be doing it to purely get me more confident in driving around. What does everyone think to this idea? anyone else done the pass plus course - if so how did you find it?
    Id go for it.
    I havent done it myself, but the pass plus will help you gain a bit of experience on different roads (country roads, motorways etc).
    As well as pass plus, id also go and have a drive round on your own in your car. You may be nervous, but the more you go out there and drive the better.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the AA Drive Confident course. For people in just your position and if you get it, its free!

ReputationRep:
    Had the same issue, done the pass plus for increased confidence and generally how to drive on the roads in the real world rather than how you are supposedly supposed to drive. Really helps you drive more confidently, as you do city driving, country driving and motorway driving.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but I'd disagree with you there. Plenty of people have nerves about driving but are still safe on the roads. And even more new drives are nervous in the first few months of driving alone. It's just about getting used to driving - I passed with 3 minors and so even though I have little confidence, I know in myself that I am a competent driver.
    This. It is far safer to be cautious and able to ask family to come with you for the first couple of months. You are doing very well. Perhaps you need to start with some extremely short journeys, maybe once round the block if that, just to show yourself that it isn't too hard to drive on the slower stuff you know well. Then you can build up the journey length/complexity, all the time getting more experience.

By far the most dangerous drivers are the arrogant ones who think it doesn't matter if they are drunk, that speeding is perfectly acceptable, that stopping at red lights is optional, and that hands off the wheel dancing along with friends is not a distraction.

ReputationRep:
    Pass plus is useful if you generally want to widen the breadth of your driving experience, not necessarily improve it - that just means driving around often to build up confidence

A lot of people take pass plus to reduce insurance but for that purpose it's a load of *******s - only the most expensive insurers (AA, RAC, etc) seem to value it and even then, it only reduces your premium marginally.

There's nothing to lose by doing pass plus, but if it's solely to cut premiums then it's hopeless.

ReputationRep:
    I made a thread saying literally the same things when i passed in December, i hated driving at first. Was not confident one bit and for those few weeks hater life for a bit lol. I'll try find the link because theres some great posts there

But definitely do pass plus, or some more hours with your instructor. I decided not to go for pass plus because i didn't really want to do the modules, i wanted to just do driving and since it wasn't going to change my insurance there was no point in me doing it and instead it was better to just do more lessons, so i did 4 hours driving around, we actually encountered some pretty awful weather conditions and did do a bit of motorway driving, it made me feel so much better, i still made mistakes the first 2 hours i always stalled but having my instructor there really helped me. I think i would of probably carried on having 2 hours lessons every week, but my instructor told me that i was a good driver and re-assured me that i can drive lol he just said i needed some more miles under my belt, definitely right. Anyways things happened and i got a different car, felt a bit more comfortable in this car, then I'd just go out for a 20 minute driver every other day, i did the same route every time lol. Then i was supposed to be meeting some friends, so i organized for my uncle to take me out driving (he's really patient compared to my mum! haha) definitely delt better after that but no confident to driver to where we was meeting, but i said to myself I'd drive to uni monday, and i must admit i got up super early just in case i backed out and needed to go for the bus but i didn't i drove, was a really big achievement for me then i just did the journey everyday, im quite comfortable with that journey now, and it helped me to go out and drive other places, now sometimes i may get a tiny bit nervous before driving if i haven't driven in a few weeks (like these Easter holidays) but i soon loose that feeling once I'm on the road.

You'll definitely feel better and get more confidence, trust me If i can do it, anyone can haha
    I did honestly for a good couple of weeks think I'd be getting the bus forever lol
    Don't give up, and don't get a mistake put you off, just go out and do a little drive where you can, hope it all works out for you, i'm sure it will!

ReputationRep:
    Wow thank you everyone! I've had loads of brilliant replies on here just seeing comments like that motivates me to build my confidence I do think I need to push myself into it more, but it's so easy to just avoid it when I'm so nervous! I think it knocked my confidence as well to be driving such a big car....

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother, if you have access to a car that isn't an instructors then practise in that, it is really not worth the money!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any ADI will help without going through the PP route but of course it will cost

That cost can be reduced if you use your own car and the ADI is local so you can pick them up = less overheads for the ADI to cover

Advanced driving organisations can also help if you join as a local member = 7.50p per year for my group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROG.)
    Any ADI will help without going through the PP route but of course it will cost

That cost can be reduced if you use your own car and the ADI is local so you can pick them up = less overheads for the ADI to cover

Advanced driving organisations can also help if you join as a local member = 7.50p per year for my group
    What are advanced driving organisations?

ReputationRep:
    The IAM - (Institute of Advanced Motorists) or ROSPA are the two main ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukev)
    The IAM - (Institute of Advanced Mororists) or ROSPA are the two main ones.
    Thank you - if you are a member what benefits does it get you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.