Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever met someone who instantly disliked you? watch

I met this girl on my uni course 3 years and ever since the day she met me, she has hated me. We started off being mild friends but over the first couple of weeks we drifted apart.

I used to be nice to her, partly because I wanted to make friends and appear like a civilised human being but she would always be condescending towards me, slip some snide remarks/comments whenever I tried to converse with her, fire dirty looks and eye-rolls, etc. I don't bother with her any more but I've always wondered why someone who doesn't even know you take such a disliking towards you?

Has anyone ever experienced this?

ReputationRep:
    Jealousy????? Some people are just horrid, they for need reasons to annoy others

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I have. As SannaS says, it basically boils down to jealousy, either that or they basically have problems in their own life which causes them to be horrible to people. Just forget them and move on.

There's a girl who I met on my course, she was really nice to me when we worked together for the first month or so but now she ignores me, blanks me in public, doesn't text and makes arrangements without me, etc. We're supposed to be working on a project together but she is doing her own thing and doesn't want to be associated with me at all. The thing that sucks is that she is extremely popular and pretty with a great figure and image so it's obvious she doesn't want to be around me because of how I look (I am quite plain) it's a horrible feeling really.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have met people that take an instant dislike to me although to be fair most of the times it has happened was because I was an arrogant prick so I had it coming at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    Uni reminds me of Big Brother. When you first move in everyone's nice and trying to make friends, and then when the water settles they show their true colours.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Lol, every second person I meet seems to hates me, no apparent reason, must just be my face.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, though I usually don't like the person either so it's a mutual thing. You can't please everybody and there's no point changing how you act (unless you're just generally a horrible person) for the sake of 1 or 2 'haters'.

ReputationRep:
    Once or twice, I have met people that have taken an instant dislike to me for some reason.

I don't let it bother me, I don't think I am that bad!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes, my mother.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

A Bulgarian Mathematician with a God complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Yes, my mother.
    I was going to say this.

Yes, everyone

ReputationRep:
    Jealousy or some other insecurity, 99% of the time. Only if they instantly dislike you, though.

(Original post by Enavor)
    A Bulgarian Mathematician with a God complex.

ReputationRep:
    Annoyingly, one of my interviewers at a certain university. Needless to say I didn't get in :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    Jealousy or some other insecurity, 99% of the time. Only if they instantly dislike you, though.

I wasn't jealous of him though. When someone calls you "an idiot" at any point they can, just because they don't agree with your logic, you know they have insecurities as well as deficiencies. Not once did I ever call him an idiot or any other name for that matter. He lost the intellectual battle as soon as all that occurred. I'll never stay in the same flat with a mathematician again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I met this girl on my uni course 3 years and ever since the day she met me, she has hated me.

We started off being mild friends
    but over the first couple of weeks we drifted apart.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There's a girl who I met on my course, she was really nice to me when we worked together for the first month or so but now she ignores me, blanks me in public, doesn't text and makes arrangements without me, etc. We're supposed to be working on a project together but she is doing her own thing and doesn't want to be associated with me at all. The thing that sucks is that she is extremely popular and pretty with a great figure and image so it's obvious she doesn't want to be around me because of how I look (I am quite plain) it's a horrible feeling really.
    Maybe just maybe you said or did something to offend her an you didn't even realise. Maybe it isn't that she's ignoring you or being horrible for no reason. The only way to find out is to ask her. I have not instantly dislike someone but I don't instantly like people and wait for them to piss me off... It's a careful balance of neutral dislike nor liking until someone says or does something to tip those scales.

Deciding that she doesn't like you because you're plain and she's pretty or whatever is - ridiculous. It could be true but making that assumption based on looks is ... Depressing to me. Let me explain why: I have what some people say is ***** or stuck up face- and a slim figure and people judge me on that and if I dislike them they think it's because I think I'm better than them- *******s.

My advice is to speak to her- you've probably got it all wrong, even if you haven't got it wrong, it's good to confirm.. Because making assumptions about people isn't cool and it's better to sort things out if you're working together t might help clear the air and allow you to do it better. Continuing as you both are sounds like a bad option.

ReputationRep:
    When I'm nervous or unsure I apparently get a '*****face' hahaha and look really unapproachable, so loads of people dislike me right away. I'm quite chatty and smiley the rest of the time so luckily people get past that first impression of me else I'd be very lonely lol.

ReputationRep:
    lol one guy on my course, after one of our first lectures i made the comment that it was pretty pointless as it didn't match up to any of the reading, to which he had a massive go at me and completely ignores me whenever he sees me... awkward coz he's friends with my friends. don't know why he got so angry over one comment for!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.