Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, need help with this question.

Using Gaussian elimination solve this matrix

(A|b) =

1 1 -2 1
    2 -1 2 1
    c 0 1 0

its the bottom line with 'c' that i don't know how to reduce.
    can someone tell me what i need to do with it?

thanks
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Well, c is just a number, so how would you turn the c into a 1 so that you can reduce it? (And under what conditions are you allowed to perform this operation?)

ReputationRep:
    im told to find (x,y,z) in terms of c
    so i dont have to turn it into anything

ReputationRep:
    i just need to reduce it in terms of C, but i dont know how to do that :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Well, c is just a number, so how would you turn the c into a 1 so that you can reduce it? (And under what conditions are you allowed to perform this operation?)
    ^
    |
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by lar di da)
    ^
    |
    You know you can perform elementary row operations without changing the answer. Can you think of an elementary row operation that will turn (c,0,1|0) into (1, <some other numbers>)? (It might help to list the elementary row operations.)
    Once you've got a 1 in that position, you can repeat in the usual inductive way to complete the Gaussian elimination; whenever you end up with something involving c in the "active slot" (there's probably an official term for that), you can perform a similar step to turn it into a 1.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd use a different method. Noting the y and z coefficients of the first two rows, I would add those two rows together first (in terms of elementary row operations, replacing the first or second row with the sum 3 0 0 | 2). From there, you can just multiply that row by some obvious factors and subtract it into the other rows to get to RREF.

In other words:
    Spoiler:
    Show

1 1 -2 | 1
    2 -1 2 | 1
    c 0 1 | 0

1 1 -2 | 1
    3 0 0 | 2 #R2<=R1+R2
    c 0 1 | 0

1 1 -2 | 1
    1 0 0 | 2/3 #R2<=(1/3)R2
    c 0 1 | 0

0 1 -2 | 1/3 #R1<=R1-R2
    1 0 0 | 2/3
    0 0 1 | -2c/3 #R3<=R3-(c)R2

1 0 0 | 2/3
    0 1 -2 | 1/3
    0 0 1 | -2c/3

Anyways, you just have to treat 'c' like any old random number. If you can't do that, then perhaps you need more practice with RREF?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by aznkid66)
    Personally, I'd use a different method. Noting the y and z coefficients of the first two rows, I would add those two rows together first (in terms of elementary row operations, replacing the first or second row with the sum 3 0 0 | 2).
    Ah, much neater I admit that I tend to find the hardest possible way first, and stick to it…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aznkid66)
    Personally, I'd use a different method. Noting the y and z coefficients of the first two rows, I would add those two rows together first (in terms of elementary row operations, replacing the first or second row with the sum 3 0 0 | 2). From there, you can just multiply that row by some obvious factors and subtract it into the other rows to get to RREF.

In other words:
    Spoiler:
    Show

1 1 -2 | 1
    2 -1 2 | 1
    c 0 1 | 0

1 1 -2 | 1
    3 0 0 | 2 #R2<=R1+R2
    c 0 1 | 0

1 1 -2 | 1
    1 0 0 | 2/3 #R2<=(1/3)R2
    c 0 1 | 0

0 1 -2 | 1/3 #R1<=R1-R2
    1 0 0 | 2/3
    0 0 1 | -2c/3 #R3<=R3-(c)R2

1 0 0 | 2/3
    0 1 -2 | 1/3
    0 0 1 | -2c/3

Anyways, you just have to treat 'c' like any old random number. If you can't do that, then perhaps you need more practice with RREF?
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Ah, much neater I admit that I tend to find the hardest possible way first, and stick to it…

thanks both of you. i think i do need a bit more practice with RREF though when i did work it out and how ive been taught it slightly different you. ive been taught to go to REF and then RREF. Yours seems to skip straight to RREF?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by lar di da)
    thanks both of you. i think i do need a bit more practice with RREF though when i did work it out and how ive been taught it slightly different you. ive been taught to go to REF and then RREF. Yours seems to skip straight to RREF?
    I go to REF and then to RREF; in this particular instance, you can use a trick (which aznkid66 spotted) to get you closer to RREF much faster.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.