Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am considering doing a chemistry, pharmacy or biochemistry degree in the future. I have decent GCSE grades in all three sciences A* in chemistry and an A in physics and biology (but could pull this up to an A* with 90 UMS in the last exam) so far and have the same grades in my other subjects. I am deciding which a-levels to choice for next year and have come to the conclusion of:

-Chemistry (obvious choice as I enjoy it)

-Biology (my second favourite science)

-Maths (Would benefit my application as it is needed for some universities for chemistry as well as make the maths involved with the a-level easier)

-History or French

I am stuck on whether to do history or french. I did both history and french early and gained an A* in history and a B in french as i only did the foundation course. I am redoing french this year and sitting the higher papers and am on track for an A. I feel I would do better as history due to my better GCSE grade and interest of the subject, I would also learn new investigative skills and essay writing skills but I would also love to learn a language and am considering doing a degree with a year abroad or a major/minor degree with a language as I feel it would help me if I went into industry.

Which do you feel would benefit me more with my chosen career/degree choices?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace&Love)
    Hi I am considering doing a chemistry, pharmacy or biochemistry degree in the future. I have decent GCSE grades in all three sciences A* in chemistry and an A in physics and biology (but could pull this up to an A* with 90 UMS in the last exam) so far and have the same grades in my other subjects. I am deciding which a-levels to choice for next year and have come to the conclusion of:

-Chemistry (obvious choice as I enjoy it)

-Biology (my second favourite science)

-Maths (Would benefit my application as it is needed for some universities for chemistry as well as make the maths involved with the a-level easier)

-History or French

I am stuck on whether to do history or french. I did both history and french early and gained an A* in history and a B in french as i only did the foundation course. I am redoing french this year and sitting the higher papers and am on track for an A. I feel I would do better as history due to my better GCSE grade and interest of the subject, I would also learn new investigative skills and essay writing skills but I would also love to learn a language and am considering doing a degree with a year abroad or a major/minor degree with a language as I feel it would help me if I went into industry.

Which do you feel would benefit me more with my chosen career/degree choices?

Thanks in advance
    If you're thinking of doing Biochemistry with French, it is an entry requirement (at Imperial College London, anyway) to have the language to at least AS level. Whereas if you did Biochemistry with a research year abroad, the requirement is to have the language to at least GCSE level.

But as you've said, you feel you'd do better in History and the primary thing is getting the best grades. So if I were you, I'd go with History

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    If you're thinking of doing Biochemistry with French, it is an entry requirement (at Imperial College London, anyway) to have the language to at least AS level. Whereas if you did Biochemistry with a research year abroad, the requirement is to have the language to at least GCSE level.

But as you've said, you feel you'd do better in History and the primary thing is getting the best grades. So if I were you, I'd go with History
    Is this the course your studying - Biochemistry at Imperial College?

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I would go with the one that interests you and that you enjoy the most, which in this case I'm guessing is history. Although in the long run having a French A-level will look really good on your CV, if you aren't really motivated and know you're only studying it because you have to, then you won't do well at all. French A level is miles harder than French GCSE (hoping to study it at uni myself! :france:)

ReputationRep:
    I would encourage you to go with the language as communication (with as many people as possible) is a huge part of medicine and science. For all you know you could land a job in France, Canada (Quebec), Belgium, Switzerland and many African nations where French would definitely be beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace&Love)
    Is this the course your studying - Biochemistry at Imperial College?
    Oh, no, haha, I just quickly googled Biochemistry with French to confirm my assumption that it was an entry requirement
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I would go for the History - you are more likely to get a good grade in it, and clearly enjoy it. Although a MFL is very useful and would probably required for most '...with French' degrees, it is not absolutely essential for some year abroad options. With an A at GCSE you would probably struggle to get the top grades at A level - I got an A* at GCSE french but only just scraped an A at AS (with tonnes of extra work). History is also a well respected subject, shows a different range of skills (essay writing, analysing stuff, structuring essays/ answers, etc.) and you are more likely, based upon your GCSEs, to do well in it. If you want to keep up your French, you may be able to go to French speaking classes at college anyway (some people at my college who didn't study AS/ A2 french came along to a few) or perhaps get involved with the local Twinning association (where you basically do a French exchange for a week each year).

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and History to A2 but did french (AQA) early to AS in year 11. French at A level is such a huge step up from GCSE and I think that you really need to be into French to do well in it i.e. read french magazines, listen to french podcasts etc. On the other hand I've found History remarkably simple and not that much of a step up from GCSE to AS. As far as grades are concerned I think it's easier to get the grades in History than French; I scraped an A with 81% UMS in French but got 99% in History. Just pick the one you think you'll do best at and enjoy the most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_magic_man)
    I'm taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and History to A2 but did french (AQA) early to AS in year 11. French at A level is such a huge step up from GCSE and I think that you really need to be into French to do well in it i.e. read french magazines, listen to french podcasts etc. On the other hand I've found History remarkably simple and not that much of a step up from GCSE to AS. As far as grades are concerned I think it's easier to get the grades in History than French; I scraped an A with 81% UMS in French but got 99% in History. Just pick the one you think you'll do best at and enjoy the most
    What topics did you cover in french? & what are you covering in history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    I would go for the History - you are more likely to get a good grade in it, and clearly enjoy it. Although a MFL is very useful and would probably required for most '...with French' degrees, it is not absolutely essential for some year abroad options. With an A at GCSE you would probably struggle to get the top grades at A level - I got an A* at GCSE french but only just scraped an A at AS (with tonnes of extra work). History is also a well respected subject, shows a different range of skills (essay writing, analysing stuff, structuring essays/ answers, etc.) and you are more likely, based upon your GCSEs, to do well in it. If you want to keep up your French, you may be able to go to French speaking classes at college anyway (some people at my college who didn't study AS/ A2 french came along to a few) or perhaps get involved with the local Twinning association (where you basically do a French exchange for a week each year).
    Thanks for the advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.