Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Can you help me revise for my forthcoming May exam in English Literature .I need some structure to my Revision Schedule , what can you recommend I do Please .

The Books I am studying are, Birdsong and The Great Gatsby
    The Poems are : Auden Poems and Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner .

I'm in School on Monday for a all Day Clinic school have set up before we start school proper on Tuesday but just wanted to get loads done starting from Tomorrow.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is this English literature B? Because I'm doing this exam but 17 May.

What I do/done/doing is mind maps. I've done mind maps with each chapter of 'The Great Gatsby' where I comment on the following things:
    Form
    Language
    Structure
    Symbols/motifs/colours/foreshadowing
    Setting
    Brief summary of what happens
    Key quotes

I am now annotating all chapters with this mind map and with the aspects of narrative in mind. Then, I do an exam question on it with this mind map and annotated chapter in front of me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstBarlow)

What I do/done/doing is mind maps. I've done mind maps with each chapter of 'The Great Gatsby' where I comment on the following things:
    Form
    Language
    Structure
    Setting
    Key quotes

I am now annotating all chapters with this mind map and with the aspects of narrative in mind. Then, I do an exam question on it with this mind map and annotated chapter in front of me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes sorry , 17th May also

ReputationRep:

Form
    Language
    Structure
    Setting
    Key quotes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you possibly send me a copy/sample of one of your mind maps to get me started please?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing the Great Gatsby and Mariner. I agree with Gardan pretty much but also I like to plan a 'How does .... tell the story in Part/Chapter...' for each text.

It's paragraphs/extended bullet points on Form, Structure, Language and it's just to make me more confident around the texts so I know some key aspects on what to comment on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gardan)
    Could you possibly send me a copy/sample of one of your mind maps to get me started please?

Thanks
    Sure thing. They are not done on the computer so I'll have to take pictures. Is there any particular chapter you want?
    Chapter 6 is most likely to come up in the exam but that's not certain.

ReputationRep:
    Sure thing. They are not done on the computer so I'll have to take pictures. Is there any particular chapter you want?
    Chapter 6 is most likely to come up in the exam but that's not certain.
    chapter 6 sound like a good idea , just be nice to get an idea so I can get going on my own mind maps, thanks a load for giving me this help and time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gardan)
    chapter 6 sound like a good idea , just be nice to get an idea so I can get going on my own mind maps, thanks a load for giving me this help and time.

It's no problem, anything for a fellow student.
    This mind maps also work with poems and even dedicating a whole mind map on one thing, like symbolism in a poem or novel. Name:  825.jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  531.2 KB

If there is anything else I can do for you, let me know and I'll rummage through all my stuff to fit what you need. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    It's no problem, anything for a fellow student.
    This mind maps also work with poems and even dedicating a whole mind map on one thing, like symbolism in a poem or novel. Name:  825.jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  531.2 KB

If there is anything else I can do for you, let me know and I'll rummage through all my stuff to fit what you need. Hope this helps.
    Just having a nose at your map , will come back to you later , but thanks a bunch

ReputationRep:
    Any idea what question B will be?

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

Maybe setting or dialogue?

ReputationRep:
    Symbolism, imagery are my hopes and guesses

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.