Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, Im currently studying business management and enterprise. I have decided I want to be a midwife , I am planning to complete my degree that i am doing now and start in 2014. This time around i am planning to live at home therefore, i want to go to a uni close to essex.

ReputationRep:
    Why the change to midwifery?

ReputationRep:
    Why you have wasted so much time and now decided for a career change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    Why the change to midwifery?
    Hello, i decided i want to be a midwife because i love babies so much. Im so passionate about it and i believe bringing a baby to this world is a blessing. Its something i want to be part of and im excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Why you have wasted so much time and now decided for a career change?
    Well Firstly, i have not wasted time at all because in the future i plan to use my business degree.
    Im still young, i definitely can do another three years so do not tell me i am wasting time when i have a plan. thanks

ReputationRep:
    And you are certain you'd be fine with still births, the abortion unit, mother's bleeding to death and people who have fertility problems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eilidh.DearX)
    And you are certain you'd be fine with still births, the abortion unit, mother's bleeding to death and people who have fertility problems?
    Well clearly! I know what i'm getting myself into obviously I've done a lot of research before i decided this :confused: !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kennyvjo)
    Well clearly! I know what i'm getting myself into obviously I've done a lot of research before i decided this :confused: !!!!!
    Just checking you weren't some sort of person who didn't think things through lol :P

ReputationRep:
    Just checking you weren't some sort of person who didn't think things through lol :P
    Lol dont worry i have indeed, thanks for your concern. x

ReputationRep:
    Lol dont worry i have indeed, thanks for your concern. x
    Good good, well if you're really certain about it they did say they were concerned at the lack of midwives to replace the ones which would be retiring so they are in demand

ReputationRep:
    Good good, well if you're really certain about it they did say they were concerned at the lack of midwives to replace the ones which would be retiring so they are in demand
    Yeah i heard, im excited.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kennyvjo, great to hear your considering midwifery as a potential career. If there's anything your curious about then please feel free to ask.

In regards to the following:

Hello, i decided i want to be a midwife because i love babies so much
    Just a word of warning more than anything. Rationalising a career in midwifery because of a love for newborns is quite a common mistake. I'm sure your well aware, but midwives have very limited input when it comes to 'babies' the vast majority of our care is provided to women, not only in the intrapartum period but throughout the entire antenatal and postnatal period too.

Having said that, I wish you the best of luck. Do you have much in the way of care experience Whats your plan of action if you aren't accepted first time around? (After all, there are usually anywhere up to 20-50 applicants per place!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lacrimosus)
    Hi Kennyvjo, great to hear your considering midwifery as a potential career. If there's anything your curious about then please feel free to ask.

In regards to the following:

Just a word of warning more than anything. Rationalising a career in midwifery because of a love for newborns is quite a common mistake. I'm sure your well aware, but midwives have very limited input when it comes to 'babies' the vast majority of our care is provided to women, not only in the intrapartum period but throughout the entire antenatal and postnatal period too.

Having said that, I wish you the best of luck. Do you have much in the way of care experience Whats your plan of action if you aren't accepted first time around? (After all, there are usually anywhere up to 20-50 applicants per place!)

That isn't the only reason why i want to be a midwife. Maybe if you read everything else that i wrote you would have a better understanding. As i said before I've done my research i know what im doing thanks. No i havent applied before im going to in september .

ReputationRep:
    The OP doesn't even contain a question. Were you just making an anouncement?

In short; yes you have wasted your time.

ReputationRep:
    What's the question?

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that you haven't said much about the attraction of being a midwife - other than you like newborns. I would have thought that most of your time would not be with newborns, but with women who are in agony for hours, if not days. Once you've actually given birth, I'm not sure you see much of the midwives. But I agree - an amazing career, if you've thought it through and can handle the negatives.

ReputationRep:
    That isn't the only reason why i want to be a midwife. Maybe if you read everything else that i wrote you would have a better understanding. As i said before I've done my research i know what im doing thanks. No i haven't applied before i'm going to in september .
    Hi, you sound like you have done sufficient research and that you are passionate about a career in midwifery. However, do you enjoy studying business management and enterprise? My personal view is that there isn't really a preference in graduate intake in midwifery but it is the case to other industries. Perhaps it would be less risky to spend a couple of years doing a degree-related job before you start your training as a midwife? Work experience is highly desirable and beneficial, plus it will help you to get another job in case you change your mind in the future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.