Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm a student, currently doing my A levels. I really want to pursue a career in Education, but i've no idea what I want to teach, I just want to help other people to achieve their potential. I urgently NEED information on which Unis I can further my studies in, and how to apply and so on. I've tried looking for information on the Internet but a lot of it just went over my head :/. So yeah, kinda desperate now. If anyone could help I'd be so grateful! Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eusherntoh)
    Hi I'm a student, currently doing my A levels. I really want to pursue a career in Education, but i've no idea what I want to teach, I just want to help other people to achieve their potential. I urgently NEED information on which Unis I can further my studies in, and how to apply and so on. I've tried looking for information on the Internet but a lot of it just went over my head :/. So yeah, kinda desperate now. If anyone could help I'd be so grateful! Thanks a lot!
    Well your first choice is between either studying an undergraduate degree followed by a PGCE to get you into education, or doing an undergraduate degree in education, most of which will limit you to primary education afterwards.

If you aren't sure on what you want to do yet, I suggest taking a degree in whichever subject you are interested in studying. You can then follow this with teacher training, but you aren't as limited in what you do afterwards if you decide teaching isn't right for you. If you think you may want to do primary education, make sure your degree is in a core subject.

To help you out at this stage, see what you can do about getting some work experience in different settings. That will be a lot more helpful to you than anything on the internet when you're completely unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eusherntoh)
    Your first port of call is to figure out whether you want to teach Primary or Secondary. Get experience of both settings and then decide which one. Only after you decide this can you figure out which route to take, as both primary and secondary have a variety of different routes.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion you would be best off doing an undergraduate degree in a subject that you enjoy and could see yourself teaching. That way you will have plenty of options as long as your subject is in some way relevant to the national curriculum. You can then spend plenty of time gaining experience in both primary and secondary placements before choosing which age range you prefer. You should have a look at which subjects are classed as priority subjects, this could help you with your decision as these courses are more likely to be funded by the time you come to train, and of course there will be more jobs. Take this with a pinch of salt though, as obviously things could change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.