Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last week I went for lunch with a mate, who is quite a bit younger than me and we don't meet up much, yet unbeknown to me he actually brought along one of his own mates!

Now, I think I would have preferred it had it just been me and my mate, as I didn't know the other guy. But ultimately I guess it doesn't matter much.

However, I am now paranoid as to why my mate brought along someone else. Was it more likely because:

1. He is trying to open up towards me and introduce me to his own good friends to further our own friendship (in which case I should consider that a huge compliment)

2. He is simply unwilling to me up with alone because he thinks I am a bit weird/socially awkward, so brought his friend along to make things easier (in which case I am hugely embarrassed)

Which is more likely? I really fear it's the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he already told you he would meet with you and had made plan with his other friend so thought he'd take him along.
    Or maybe, this friend was interested in meeting you so came along for that reason. It could even be that they bumped into each other and he invited him along for the sake of it.
    Don't read to much into things OP, its probably nothing bad.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if it was #2 surely he would have just cancelled? I definitely think if he thought you were weird then he'd not meet up with you at all, he'd also be a bit embarrassed surely to introduce a friend to someone he thought was weird? I'd be a bit freaked out if my friend said "hey I want to meet up with my friend, but he's a bit weird and I don't want to be alone with him, will you come?"

I think you're reading into it way too much, he probably just bumped into him or made double plans and felt too guilty to cancel on either of you.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a mix of both options. So you're probably slightly awkward but seeing as he didn't cancel, also totally worth it! I wouldn't think too much into it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.